Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Not sure if this has already been highlighted, but a large RAT is being established in the Solent this weekend (24-25 July 0800-1600) making trips to / from the Isle of Wight.... potentially problematical.

I think this might also invite a whole host of "infringements", given the popularity of this particular piece of airspace with the GA community at the weekend.

I can't remember RATs being established for races here in the past. Is this a new policy?

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/misc/AIC/EG_Circ_2021_M_049_en.pdf

ImageScreenshot 2021-07-21 at 10.43.10
BEX wrote:I can't remember RATs being established for races here in the past. Is this a new policy?

Really? Who can possibly forget the one where the RA(T) was in place a day before the races, "just in case".

Rob P
The very one. What fun we all had.

The main issue I see with this current one is that if the wind favours a southerly departure from L-o-S and we get another weekend of high temperatures it could cause problems on climb out for some heavily loaded GA types.

Rob P
PeteSpencer wrote:
TopCat wrote:Not a problem if you don't fly out of gliding distance from land ;)

SD will hold your hand …… :lol:

Yes indeed... :)

When I started using SD I noticed a strange irregular shape round my aeroplane when I was near water.

Took me a little while to clock what it was :oops:

I don't usually cross the Solent at less than 2.5, coasting out close enough to Lee to glide there if needed. Selsey to Bembridge is a bit far for me :)
As an inescapable yet unashamed member of the very GA pilot age and gender demographic that occasionally invites scorn on here, I like an easy life...

So, for my trips to Sandown from East Anglia to sample Daniel's famous pizzas, I eschew threading my way between Stansted and Luton, dodging round Heathrow, ducking under the TMA, dicing with death in MIG alley, avoiding Farnborough, dealing with Odiham and Southampton's airspace to reach Sandown.

I, for the sake of an extra 20 miles/ten minutes flight time nip in a straight line down to the South coast, with a simple pop through Southend, followed by a scenic flight along the South coast punctuated by a single courtesy call to Shoreham on the way past. :wink:

edit to remove the temptation of a rhetorical question :roll:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.