Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
RisePilot wrote:They don't have to re-invent the wheel. The CAA already have this software; it was used for Heathrow CTR entry prior to COVID - it worked fine.

To the best of my knowledge the CAA do not have any such software. Why would they? They are not the Air Traffic Service provider.

NATS did trial a GA portal for pre-notification of low level access requests to Heathrow, Gatwick, London City, Luton and Stansted but this finished over a year ago.

IF (and it is a big IF for me) it is definitely necessary for an ANSP to receive a prenote via a Flight Plan for a airspace transit, then this is far better achieved via a common international standard ie. a Flight Plan. Modern flight planning interfaces such as SkyDemon actually make this very easy to achieve.

Who can forget the superb, simple and free flight planning interface delivered by SkyDemon via SkyDemon Light during the Olympics?
rdfb, kanga liked this
By skydriller
Cub wrote:IF (and it is a big IF for me) it is definitely necessary for an ANSP to receive a prenote via a Flight Plan for a airspace transit, then this is far better achieved via a common international standard ie. a Flight Plan. Modern flight planning interfaces such as SkyDemon actually make this very easy to achieve.

The thing is, a VFR flight plan in the UK does nothing for you, the pilot. No one but the destination aerodrome gets them and they even then dont need to be closed, so no one will look for you if anything happens. If filing a flight plan meant that things were "joined up" then it would be a no-brainer to file one if you are "going somewhere".

Regards, SD..
By Cub
skydriller wrote:
The thing is, a VFR flight plan in the UK does nothing for you, the pilot. No one but the destination aerodrome gets them and they even then dont need to be closed, so no one will look for you if anything happens. If filing a flight plan meant that things were "joined up" then it would be a no-brainer to file one if you are "going somewhere".

Regards, SD..

Everyone that is addressed in a flight plan receives the flight plan. It is simply a case of driving the correct addressing according to the route planned.

Something that we achieved via SkyDemon Light to great effectiveness during the Olympics and just needs the will and coordinated thinking for us all to benefit from the functionality again.
kanga liked this
By James Chan
One thing I never really understood was why IFR addressing was simpler whilst the UK VFR addressing was much more involved such that it needed an additional tool like SkyDemon to compute the addressing (based on the route) in order to remove that complexity away from the user.
By Cub
James Chan wrote:One thing I never really understood was why IFR addressing was simpler whilst the UK VFR addressing was much more involved such that it needed an additional tool like SkyDemon to compute the addressing (based on the route) in order to remove that complexity away from the user.

It is really quite simple. There is no route validation required in a VFR flight plan. I can write whatever I want into the route field of a VFR flight plan, therefore it is potentially impossible to establish the planned track of an intended flight and to 'auto-address' that flight plan to the correct agencies, en-route without something clever happening in the background.

SkyDemon (and others) can do that clever thing.
James Chan liked this
skydriller wrote:
The thing is, a VFR flight plan in the UK does nothing for you, the pilot. No one but the destination aerodrome gets them and they even then dont need to be closed, so no one will look for you if anything happens.

Regards, SD..
[/quote]

That information is wrong.

You are required to inform a “nominated person” of your flight plan and he or she is required to take overdue action if you do not arrive within 30 minutes of your ETA.

That nominated person is especially required if you are landing at an unmanned site (such as a private strip).

At manned airfields “ATC” ,or their equivalent, are the nominated person and will know if you have not arrived. They are then responsible for initiating overdue action.

Flight plans are “closed” in the UK, by the “responsible persons” taking no further action when you safely arrive.

No Arrival message is needed.
By skydriller
@pullup You are not saying anything that contradicts what I have said. You are talking about things outwith filing a flight plan. That is not what happens in the rest of the world. In fact the things you mention need to happen precisely because nothing happens if you file a flight plan and then disappear...
Rob P liked this
pullup wrote:You are required to inform a “nominated person” of your flight plan and he or she is required to take overdue action if you do not arrive within 30 minutes of your ETA.

That nominated person is especially required if you are landing at an unmanned site (such as a private strip).

At manned airfields “ATC” ,or their equivalent, are the nominated person and will know if you have not arrived. They are then responsible for initiating overdue action.

Flight plans are “closed” in the UK, by the “responsible persons” taking no further action when you safely arrive.

Interesting, do you have a reference?

Can you have you own AMC or AltAMC? I leave my car on aircraft parking stand with my phone number on the windshield, I got a phone call once from my aircraft parking neighbour after 5 days of absence to check if everything is ok, we were laying on Castellon Plaja :lol:
By Cub
Ibra wrote:
pullup wrote:You are required to inform a “nominated person” of your flight plan and he or she is required to take overdue action if you do not arrive within 30 minutes of your ETA.

Interesting, do you have a reference?

Para 1.9 from https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2021-07-15-AIRAC/html/eAIP/EG-ENR-1.10-en-GB.html#ENR-1.10

Makes the UK sound like some third world country, unable to discharge it's basic ICAO obligations.
Ibra, NigelC liked this
Cub wrote:
Ibra wrote:Thanks but I can’t find something that says you need to inform a “nominated person” on VFR FPL, in AIP ENR?

See above. ENR 1.10 Flight Planning Para. 1.9

Thanks, this links works better, learning something new everyday !
Applies to both VFR & IFR on FPL going to ZZZZ…
Last edited by Ibra on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cub wrote:
Ibra wrote:Thanks but I can’t find something that says you need to inform a “nominated person” on VFR FPL, in AIP ENR?

See above. ENR 1.10 Flight Planning Para. 1.9

Thank you for helping with that link so quickly. Hope it helps people understand the system!