Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Hi All

Cardiff has started requesting that flight plans are always filed for all VFR flights outbound and inbound.

I use Skydemon so sending a plan is no issue, but I would appreciate some help on understanding how you activate / open a SD flight plan when departing smaller fields with only A/G radio services or even no ground services?

Is it simply a case of submitting the SD flight plan, and then asking London FIS to activate the plan once departed? Or is there another / better way, as often London FIS are really busy.

Many thanks
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I am based at a farm strip so am faced with a similar question when departing overseas.

An answer is, as you suggest, "London Info" (or equivalent); they are quick and efficient, and it's part of what they are for.
WalesFlyer50 liked this
By Iceman
London Info would be the best. Other agencies may not have access to your FP details unless you have included them manually as extra addresses in the FP message. All that they will require is your airborne time (in UTC) in order to activate.

Iceman 8)
Ibra, WalesFlyer50 liked this
By Dave W
Iceman wrote:... your airborne time (in UTC)...

I am paranoid about calculating in the wrong direction so cheat and just say "...airborne at time three five..." (or whatever), then I don't even have to think about the hour!
Iceman, Paul_Sengupta liked this
If Cardiff are being such a pain, you could always wait until you are in radio range of Cardiff and ask them to activate your plan! After all you don't need it before then if a domestic flight.

It also doesn't seem right creating work for London info simply to relive Cardiff of some work in creating a flight strip! Maybe it's only fair to let Cardiff do that work!
G-JWTP, WalesFlyer50 liked this
Iceman wrote:London Info would be the best. Other agencies may not have access to your FP details unless you have included them manually as extra addresses in the FP message. All that they will require is your airborne time (in UTC) in order to activate.

Iceman 8)

You are right VFR FPL on SkyDemon/ForeFlight may not get sent to all en-route ATSU for transits but London Info will pull it, but then even Cardiff ATC may not get it unless you add EGFFZTZX & EGFFZPZX somewhere or put them as alternate?

(Joke) To be sure dead sure I would file them as departure, takeoff alternate, destination, destination alternate and will add tower, approach, ground and ops all cc’ed :lol: ask for transit & activate and hopefully they can close after transit !

The art of creating more problems :thumleft:
By PeteSpencer
I have always used London info but they have to be quick as I have to negotiate a MATZ penetration shortly after take off.

For IFR /Z flight plan then after MATZ there is not much time before airways entry point .
So in this situation I have asked RAF Wattisham ( when they’re open) to open my flight plan which they have willingly done. :wink:
WalesFlyer50 liked this
Is this the thin end of another wedge?

Forget "PPR essential", are we moving to "FP essential for (undefined) safety reasons"

At least we won't be alone for once, doesn't Spain have this?

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
Why so?
I only always file a flight plan for IFR.

But I would also file a VFR flight plan for certain prescribed and recommended situations ( international boundary, long sea crossing, inhospitable terrain etc)

But not for a bimble to Turdy for lunch with a newby flyer . :wink:
Flight plans can also be opened by phone call to the AFPEx help desk, which is available twenty four hours a day.

So if you have someone on the ground that can phone in your departure time just after you take off that’s an option.

In theory any ATSU unit could also do same, though I imagine degree of helpfulness may vary as too many forget what the ‘S’ stands for!

AFPEx number is here…

http://www.myafpex.co.uk/feedback.php
Last edited by Mike Tango on Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.