Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mike Tango wrote:There was a Voluntary Redundancy offering within NATS at the very start of the pandemic, but I wasn’t aware of any compulsory redundancies (yet). Maybe others will know better though.

We've had very many voluntary redundancies in my company over the past 5 years.

"We need to get rid of two from your group of 6. These are the voluntary terms (good) but if no one applies, you'll be on standard terms (a lot worse)." Repeat a few times. You tend to get the volunteers.

I still say that the company has sacked a load of people, even though it was done through people volunteering!

Ibra wrote:why X was doing admin for VFR transits

It's not for transits, it's for people flying in/out.
By Paul_Sengupta
Ah, it appears it's transiting as well!

Q) EGTT/QFAXX/IV/NBO/A/000/999/5124N00321W005
B) FROM: 21/05/05 14:45C) TO: PERM
E) ADD NEW INFORMATION TO HANDLING SERVICES AND FACILITIES:
ALL DEPARTING AIRCRAFT ARE REQUIRED TO FILE A FULL OR ABBREVIATED FLIGHT PLAN ELECTRONICALLY PRIOR TO DEPARTURE. THE ADDRESSES SHOULD BE AS PER ENR 1.11.
UK AIP EGFF AD 2.4 REFERS.

B) FROM: 21/07/18 15:47C) TO: 21/10/15 23:59
E) COVID-19 INFORMATION: ALL ARRIVING, DEPARTING AND TRANSITING AIRCRAFT ARE REQUESTED TO FILE A FULL OR ABBREVIATED FLIGHT PLAN ELECTRONICALLY TO ASSIST CONTROLLER WORKLOAD

Q) EGTT/QAEXX/IV/NBO/AE/000/105/5123N00310W022
B) FROM: 21/07/17 14:55C) TO: 21/10/15 23:59
E) AIRCRAFT THAT HAVE NOT FILED A FLIGHT PLAN REQUESTING TO CROSS CARDIFF CTR/CTA MAY BE REFUSED A CROSSING CLEARANCE DUE TO CONTROLLER WORKLOAD
Ibra liked this
By James Chan
Yikes. The pingdemic must be hitting hard.
By Uptimist
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Ah, it appears it's transiting as well!

B) FROM: 21/07/18 15:47C) TO: 21/10/15 23:59
E) COVID-19 INFORMATION: ALL ARRIVING, DEPARTING AND TRANSITING AIRCRAFT ARE REQUESTED TO FILE A FULL OR ABBREVIATED FLIGHT PLAN ELECTRONICALLY TO ASSIST CONTROLLER WORKLOAD

How does one file an abbreviated flight plan electronically?
Ibra wrote:Got it it’s required for temporary admin :thumleft: , that would be an easy pill to swallow :lol: anyone who thinks they need live VFR FPL in the system to strategically manage traffic flow or tactically grant transits has probably never flown an aircraft or looked at radar screens

If it is for staffing issues then, having looked at radar screens for well over thirty years, I'd say it's simply to give them an idea of expected short to medium term future workload so that they then react as best they can with staff available.
Ibra liked this
By riverrock
I assume that they have electronic flight strips? It takes much longer to populate using the electronic system than the old paper ones (which can be filled in as fast as a pilot can speak). Presumably the Flight Plan is auto-populating the flight strips, so they just need to select the aircraft and get all the details.

Other airports have had similar issues.
riverrock wrote:I assume that they have electronic flight strips? It takes much longer to populate using the electronic system than the old paper ones (which can be filled in as fast as a pilot can speak). Presumably the Flight Plan is auto-populating the flight strips, so they just need to select the aircraft and get all the details.

Other airports have had similar issues.

The flight plan will have a prepared strip in the system ready to be used. That said though, for home based aircraft they could also have a partly prepared strip for quicker input into the system on free call. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Otherwise, I just missed the introduction of electronic strips into Terminal Control, but speaking to friends who have now been using the system they use for some considerable time, once familiar inputting free calls is not a significant issue.
Ibra wrote:Would be neat if FF & SD can do IFR flight plans (I,Z,Y) activation as well by sending DEP & ACK on behalf of ATC, airspace clearance with press of a button on phone or tablet :evil:

Departure messages are not required for IFR flights inside controlled airspace, unless the flight is leaving European airspace. Unlikely.

Not to be confused with getting your Airways joining instructions.
Ibra liked this
pullup wrote: Departure messages are not required for IFR flights inside controlled airspace, unless the flight is leaving European airspace. Unlikely.

Not to be confused with getting your Airways joining instructions.

Not much of use then except for EGBT to KJFK !
bilko2 wrote:IMHO airfields exist to have aircraft coming and going. If they need endless PPR, flight plans etc to do this for half the number of movements they had 20 years ago then something is wrong.

Something is wrong with GA generally.

Avgas used to be substantially cheaper than road fuel.
Proliferation of noise abatement procedures so that a standard circuit is becoming a rare thing.
Nuisance complaints because they are so easy to make with modern technology and open access data.
Council planners approving or trying to approve new build housing too close to established airfields.
Planning restrictions on number of movements.
Airspace grabs creating infringement hotspots.
Airspace grabs creating pinchpoints for vfr traffic increasing collision risk.
Less situational awareness as more pilots keeping quiet on a listening squawk so someone else routing same area similar time wont know they are there on a LARS channel.
Airfield budgets squeezed as some pilots want the same landing fees as 20 years ago whilst the rest of the world has cost more with inflation if nowt else.
Many basic aircraft are yet another 20 years older as new ones need a lottery win.
Very few new GA types come to market to keep the scene fresh, interesting and evolving (all of which could encourage newcomers to make that first tentative step into the world of GA).
For a newcomer doing online research it appears to be very difficult to rent something that is not a Cessna or a Piper, with some exceptions, but mostly depends who you know, but a newcomer to GA would not have those contacts or a significant track record of flying skills.

At least we have moved away from the whizz wheel once got a licence.
By skydriller
The mischief maker in me want everyone that goes flying to file a VFR flight plan through their airspace regardless if where anyone flies to because in the UK no-one cares about VFR flight plans... hence repeatedly swamping their system to make it pointless...but we dont do that sort of thing do we... :wink:
RisePilot liked this