Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In years gone by, when there was a Windows CE version of SkyDemon, I used the same device as a car Satnav as I did in the aircraft. The device (with car SatNav running) kept working, with a black rear case, even in Death Valley at 40 + deg C, with the car dashboard so hot I couldn't touch it. As such, I suggest it is device dependant (although I doubt there is much of the WinCE version of Sky Demon in the current Android / iOS versions!).
By Paul_Sengupta
My Nexus 7s have never shut down, no matter how hot. I don't think they even have that feature! I remember one morning I got back to the aeroplane at Saucats having left the cover off, and I'd forgotten I'd left the tablet on the coaming. It was almost too hot to touch, but it turned on and worked fine when I checked it. My battery monitoring app had the battery temperature well into the red though! :shock:
kanga liked this
By Pete L
Tim Dawson wrote:
Pete L wrote:I do recall asking you the question if the iOS version consumed more power than the Android version

There's no reason it should. Both are pretty much the same code, doing pretty much the same thing, and are well optimised. I reckon SkyDemon is kinder to your CPU (and therefore battery) than other apps that do a similar thing.

Don't disagree. The later Garmin car devices are power hungry and we always had trouble with our taxi devices if the vehicle power wasn't up to snuff - they ran TomTom or an OEM navigator. Car refresh rates are possibly higher.

Just wondered if you'd ever found time to do any controlled tests.