Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dominie
My tablet did exactly that yesterday! Happily it was probably because I had left it on (and in the sun) when I landed away; I found it when I came back 25 mins later so it wasn't an issue, but it's a good reminder, just like the density altitude thread.
2Donkeys liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dominie wrote:My tablet did exactly that yesterday! Happily it was probably because I had left it on (and in the sun) when I landed away; I found it when I came back 25 mins later so it wasn't an issue, but it's a good reminder, just like the density altitude thread.

Was it an Apple or another make?
By Dominie
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Dominie wrote:My tablet did exactly that yesterday! Happily it was probably because I had left it on (and in the sun) when I landed away; I found it when I came back 25 mins later so it wasn't an issue, but it's a good reminder, just like the density altitude thread.

Samsung

(NB I would never buy another Samsung fridge/freezer or mobile phone, but I assume the tablets are designed by a different team!)
By G-JWTP
Dominie wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

Samsung

(NB I would never buy another Samsung fridge/freezer or mobile phone, but I assume the tablets are designed by a different team!)

How do you get SD on a fridge freezer in an aircraft?

G-JWTP
tr7v8, editmonkey liked this
By Rob P
TopCat wrote:Light GA must really be sleepwalking its way into incompetence if the CAA feels the need to put that out.

Well we already know that is what they think after the "This bit of airspace is too difficult for ordinary GA mortals and they should manage the threat by going somewhere else" infringement rubbish from a few weeks back.

Rob P
By TopCat
Rob P wrote:
TopCat wrote:Light GA must really be sleepwalking its way into incompetence if the CAA feels the need to put that out.

Well we already know that is what they think after the "This bit of airspace is too difficult for ordinary GA mortals and they should manage the threat by going somewhere else" infringement rubbish from a few weeks back.

Well yes. But if there really has been a spike in infringements over the last week because tablets have been overheating, sadly, they're probably right.
By Lefty
I don’t see any problem. Don’t leave your tablet on the dash in bright sunshine is just plain common sense.

Yesterday I flew nearly 4 hours in a bubble canopy Robin DR400 at FL100, plus an hour in a 6X - with two (Apple) tablets in full view of the sunshine - all without a hint of overheating.
By ak7274
I might be guessing here, but are the CAA using the new aviation safety contractors to put out this dross?
By Red
Summer is with us and we’ve had reports of tablets and mobiles overheating in the cockpit and shutting down leading to a rise in airspace infringements,” said a CAA Skywise alert.

Im sure they just make this stuff up
By pullup
ak7274 wrote:I might be guessing here, but are the CAA using the new aviation safety contractors to put out this dross?

And presumably you also guessing the new contractor knows nothing about the infallibility of God like GA pilots....some of which have been fined £175,000 recently.
By TopCat
Lefty wrote:Yesterday I flew nearly 4 hours in a bubble canopy Robin DR400 at FL100 .... in full view of the sunshine - all without a hint of overheating.

You do know it gets colder as you go up, right? Not hotter as you get closer to the sun?

:wink: :wink:
By Dave W
pullup wrote:...some of which have been fined £175,000 recently.

One has; and for blatant deliberate forgery sustained over years, not a one-off bureacratic or nav error.

Not really a case to draw even the tiniest relevant comparison from for the rest of us.
GrahamB, TopCat, FrankS liked this