Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By pullup
Dave W wrote:
pullup wrote:...some of which have been fined £175,000 recently.

Not really a case to draw even the tiniest relevant comparison from for the rest of us.

Spend a full afternoon (not just the usual 10 minute visit) in the “Tower” at a busy GA airfield and see the standard of some of the “the rest of us ”. It can be an embarrassing eye opener.
By ak7274
pullup wrote:
Dave W wrote:
pullup wrote:...some of which have been fined £175,000 recently.

Not really a case to draw even the tiniest relevant comparison from for the rest of us.

Spend a full afternoon (not just the usual 10 minute visit) in the “Tower” at a busy GA airfield and see the standard of some of the “the rest of us ”. It can be an embarrassing eye opener.

Then perhaps instead of stating the bleeding obvious about overheating tablets, the experts might try a little harder to improve our flying skills/airman ship by putting out something a little more useful?
I have also spent a little more than spend an hour in a tower, but do agree the general skills of some pilots are lacking. The last couple of CAA advice circulars were almost as embarrassing a some of the pilots they were directed at.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Seems to me that the CAA can’t do right for doing wrong.

People here moan about the skills and airmanship of the average pilot, then can’t resist having a moan about the CAA pitching a communication aimed at that level.

I’m not an blind advocate of the CAA, they are desperately poor at some things and in serious need of a shake-up, but this is just one of the things that I’d expect from a safety regulator from time to time, something that neither inspires me nor rattles my cage.
FrankS, G-BLEW, AlanM and 7 others liked this
By ak7274
Telling a 30 year old that putting your hand in a fire may burn, is bordering on ridiculous. How about when flying in hot, sunny weather, wear a hat, cover your arms, especially in aircraft with clear canopies. Take fluids, little and often to reduce chances of dehydration and perhaps a few sugar sweets?
By Rob P
ak7274 wrote: ... when flying in hot, sunny weather, wear a hat, cover your arms, especially in aircraft with clear canopies. Take fluids, little and often to reduce chances of dehydration and perhaps a few sugar sweets?

Sounds like a job for that forum favourite, Sunny Swift :D

Rob P
johnm liked this
By skydriller
Red wrote:
Summer is with us and we’ve had reports of tablets and mobiles overheating in the cockpit and shutting down leading to a rise in airspace infringements,” said a CAA Skywise alert.

Im sure they just make this stuff up

Examples from the CAA of the Infringements following a tablet shut-down due to overheating??

My take on this is that some nice person at the CAA is on a forum or two such as this, has read about the Ipad overheating shutdown inflight issues and is being pro-active. I think this is a GOOD THING.

Its just a shame that its pitched the way it is instead of saying "be aware of the different issues flying in hot weather, eg, we think using a tablet app is great but be aware of the reports they can shut down, so think about ventilation and have a backup plan" They could then go on to talk about Density Altitude, ground running Engine Temps & Performance - even keeping yourself and pax cool & hydrated etc, etc...

Regards, SD..
Dave W, Paul_Sengupta, Rob P and 2 others liked this
By Capt Edmund
It's worth remembering that we rant on about stuff like tablets shutting down routinely so, when we get the email, ask why on earth it needs to be sent out. Some out there will probably get the email and it'll be a complete shock to find out that heat can affect them. For the rest of us we are at least talking and thinking about it which gives us a chance to consider it, and I know they shut down but it doesn't stop me being surprised when I put my phone on the picnic table and it gives up! As for the 'Take more than 2', I think they could have used it as a better tool to enhance/discuss TEM in GA.
By TopCat
skydriller wrote:
Red wrote:
Summer is with us and we’ve had reports of tablets and mobiles overheating in the cockpit and shutting down leading to a rise in airspace infringements,” said a CAA Skywise alert.

Im sure they just make this stuff up

Examples from the CAA of the Infringements following a tablet shut-down due to overheating??

My take on this is that some nice person at the CAA is on a forum or two such as this, has read about the Ipad overheating shutdown inflight issues and is being pro-active. I think this is a GOOD THING.

I'm all for the CAA being proactive about safety.

However, it either is, or is not true that they've had a rise in CAS busts attributed to overheating devices.

The Skywise alert was issued on the 19th. This 'hot' weather only went above 25 degrees C a few days ago. Has there really been time for them to acquire and collate enough information since then?

If so, and they've put out the alert as a response, then fair play to them. If not, then they shouldn't make stuff up.

FTAOD, my OP on this thread was not a criticism of the CAA - I find it entirely plausible that there are plenty of people out there following their magenta line, and end up in a right pickle if it disappears.
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
It's a shame the Flyer headline refers to "overheating moving map apps". SkyDemon doesn't overheat!
ChrisT, johnm, Dave W and 6 others liked this
By johnm
It's a timely warning and could be added to by the Density Altitude thread and other performance issues..., people are not used to this weather and get taken by surprise in all sorts of ways.

The advent of Sunny Swift has clearly shown that this need is not limited to the UK either....
By Ibra
Lefty wrote:I don’t see any problem. Don’t leave your tablet on the dash in bright sunshine is just plain common sense.

Yesterday I flew nearly 4 hours in a bubble canopy Robin DR400 at FL100, plus an hour in a 6X - with two (Apple) tablets in full view of the sunshine - all without a hint of overheating.

Because I was inverted 8)
kanga liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Tim Dawson wrote:It's a shame the Flyer headline refers to "overheating moving map apps". SkyDemon doesn't overheat!

I've fixed that…

Ian
Dave W, Tim Dawson, Cub and 2 others liked this
By Pete L
Tim Dawson wrote:It's a shame the Flyer headline refers to "overheating moving map apps". SkyDemon doesn't overheat!

I do recall asking you the question if the iOS version consumed more power than the Android version - perhaps I didn't specify when with similar processor performance available.

Personal experience is that the Android version runs colder but I've not had any battery life issues with either.

To the original post, yes, worthwhile safety announcement.

I have been bitten by it twice over unfamiliar territory - but I did have a backup plan - the phone, another moving map GPS, a VOR receiver and a printed chart. Where it might have become interesting is if there was serious cloud around, hills, or an hour from land over the Med.

Another consequence of heat to consider:

Moving map really comes into its own doing thunderstorm dodging without too much paper re-planning in flight.

The ATC comment is also a good one. After the 3rd request for avoidance over Belgium once, they more or less told me I could go where I liked - anyone with any sense was already on the ground :-)
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Pete L wrote:I do recall asking you the question if the iOS version consumed more power than the Android version

There's no reason it should. Both are pretty much the same code, doing pretty much the same thing, and are well optimised. I reckon SkyDemon is kinder to your CPU (and therefore battery) than other apps that do a similar thing.
Pete L liked this