Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Skylaunch2 wrote:Though there are discussions of late promulgation. I did see this appear through CAA Skywise on the 16th in AIC format. So it wasn't all a surprise. I assume it was the NOTAM that was issued late?

This was the SkyWise notification on Friday.

The publication date of the AIS Briefing Sheet was today and no AIC was produced.
Cub wrote:Can we just be clear, Purple Airways were established for fixed wing traffic and are now accommodated via CAS(T) in Class G airspace. Royal Low Level Corridors used to be established for Royal Helicopter flights but had little impact on civilian operations outside of CAS. The concept of segregation via a short notice RA(T) is a new idea.

This is what need to be challenged. What’s the rationale for the change to restricted airspace over a RLLC? What are the incident statistics or what is the evidence that show this change, which is more restrictive to other airspace users, is necessary and justified?
Cub liked this
By riverrock
The coordinates are within the free text body of the NOTAM, so it would seem well within possibility to agree a format for the coordinates within the body, so the various apps and systems can be confident in auto-processing them. That wouldn't take international agreement - just the few stakeholders coming to an understanding and telling everyone about their "preferred" format.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Yes. this has been suggested for years, but I think such coordination is beyond what's possible given the multitude of people writing NOTAMs. Of course the NOTAM department at the CAA could modify them accordingly...

(Could a forumite be in the NOTAM department at the CAA? :whistle: )
By Irv Lee
@Paul_Sengupta we are forced through a central portal to merely request a medical, I don't see why any notam raiser shouldn't be treated the same. I would have thought some would welcome the "help" in what they are meant to do
By riverrock
If a number of key consumers (the various app developers and briefing systems) put out an informal standard, at least it would be something to aim for? An RFC in IT speak.
It shouldn't be any harder to output the coordinates in a standard way than the current ways? Might save time for Tim's and presumably the other developers teams and a win for all. Who knows, perhaps a defacto standard could start being used worldwide...
By Paul_Sengupta
riverrock wrote:If a number of key consumers (the various app developers and briefing systems) put out an informal standard, at least it would be something to aim for? An RFC in IT speak.

Yes, it's been suggested for years. Let's see if someone behind the scenes can make it happen, though Tim has the contacts, and Ian Fallon (with Notamplot) was doing this way before that while suggesting the same, so...

riverrock wrote:It shouldn't be any harder to output the coordinates in a standard way than the current ways?

You'd think!

riverrock wrote:Who knows, perhaps a defacto standard could start being used worldwide...

I admire your optimism.

Maybe with Sky Demon being so ubiquitous now, Tim could lead the charge this time.
By ChampChump
It certainly threw me, trying to return south. Of course, once I'd waited long enough for it to evaporate before I got there, it had been reformatted more sensibly to reflect her outbound route on Thursday. Oh well, never mind. I did get back before the weather events.
By riverrock
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Maybe with Sky Demon being so ubiquitous now, Tim could lead the charge this time.

If the Garmin and Boeing (Foreflight) guys could be brought on side, you'd have thought it could be possible to organise the USA ones to match. Sometimes you need to put a suggested standard out there (so do the work up front) then engage and invite comment - I'd have through the requirements wouldn't be too complex:
machine and human readable representation of coordinates to fit inside a standard NOTAM body,

How about:
: Keyword : Name : Restriction : LowerHeight-UpperHeight: Coordinate1 description (comma separated) - Coordinate2 description - Coordinate 3 description - Coordinate N description ;

EG
: Location : RAT : No Helicopters : SFC-FL100 : 531828N0003303W - 533619N0004237W - 531830N0003403W - 533720N0001234W ;

: Location : Red Arrow Formation : None : 250-2000FT : 531828N0003303W line, 0837, SW of Upton - 533619N0004237W line, 0839, NW of Gunness - 531830N0003403W line, 0843, E of Pocklington - 533720N0001234W line, 0846, SW of hovingham ;

I'm sure someone can come up with something better ;)