Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Loco parentis wrote:
... The role of the police should be solely directed towards the prevention and detection of crime and the apprehension of the wrongdoer and the provision of evidence in the furtherance of.

Isn't that the case ? No, it should be but it isn't. What on earth is the use - apart from a bit of flag waving and empire building - of using hugely expensive machinery to obtain convictions that end almost always not in tears but in huge grins and fist pumping as the scum leave Court having successfully bamboozled yet again.

I'm rather perturbed by your post, the Police apprehend and put law beakers in front of the courts, and they will use resources at their disposal to achieve that end. What happens in court is not within the jurisdiction of the Police , the administration of justice is a separate matter.

Do you really think the Police are happy when they see "huge grins and fist pumping as the scum leave Court having successfully bamboozled yet again" . If anyone has a problem with such an outcome it is not the Police who need to be held to account, it is the justice system. When a defendant appears in court that represents a success in the Policing operation, what happens in court can not be blamed on the Police.
tr7v8, T6Harvard, kanga and 1 others liked this
By Loco parentis
avtur

You needn't feel perturbed in the slightest. I entirely agree with you. My point was the undoubted - let us put it gently - exasperation of the police when they see, yet again, their best efforts in Court trashed by a weak and ineffectual justice system.
By A4 Pacific
@Loco parentis
The role of the police should be solely directed towards the prevention and detection of crime and the apprehension of the wrongdoer and the provision of evidence in the furtherance of.

You don’t seem to understand much about the role of the police, despite your delight in pontificating about it!

On a wider point, despite some odd attitudes in the service generally, the average police officer still does an absolutely outstanding job in very difficult circumstances. The fact that they don’t receive the funding they deserve is no fault of theirs.

That ‘fault’ is more a function of the fact that too many people demand a Rolls Royce police service but only wish to pay for a Trabant!
JAFO, kanga liked this
By JAFO
I remember someone calling the control room to complain about the noise of the helicopter. Their rant then moved on to the expense of this "Chief Constable's toy".

The calltaker sympathised, asked for his name and address and said she'd add him to the list.

"What list?" He enquired.

"Well sir," she explained, "we have a list of those people who object to the use of a helicopter then if their house is burgled and the offender runs off; or if their car is stolen; or if their child or granny goes missing one cold night, we know not to send the helicopter."
kanga, Kittyhawk, Paul_Sengupta and 7 others liked this
By avtur3
Loco parentis wrote:avtur

You needn't feel perturbed in the slightest. I entirely agree with you. My point was the undoubted - let us put it gently - exasperation of the police when they see, yet again, their best efforts in Court trashed by a weak and ineffectual justice system.

I'm genuinely confused by your posts, on the one hand you are having a 'pop' at police methods, yet on the other you are saying you understand where I'm coming from. I'm really sorry, maybe I'm being particularly thick, but I just cannot reconcile those two viewpoints.

Let me be be 100% clear, I have skin in this game as a once serving police officer. I know the actions I have undertaken in the name of upholding the law, and I find your comments totally undermining of my efforts.

Thankfully people who wear the uniform and do that job do it for their own good reason and are not dissuaded or upset by the point of view you put forward. To be a successful 'bobby' you have to have a very strange mix of thick skin and human sensitivity, I'm sorry to say that my interpretation of your comments is that you have no understanding of this.
kanga, riverrock liked this
By A4 Pacific
We didn’t seem to require much ‘conspicuity’. All the fireworks aimed at the aircraft around bonfire night seemed to prove that everyone could see us. Even at night! :roll: :lol:
JAFO liked this
By johnm
@Loco parentis I fear you understand neither the police nor the criminal justice system.

I recommend further reading of JAFO's excellent and entertaining book, which highlights the complex role of role of the police (which has moved on a touch since Enid Blyton created Mr Plod) and the very cost effective role of helicopters and their crews, which, incidentally, was being pushed (against considerable opposition) by my late FiL in the 1960s. He was a DAC in the MET and the first national co-ordinator of crime squads.

Then you should read the works of The Secret Barrister in particular one called Fake Law
JAFO, Tim Dawson liked this
By A4 Pacific
the very cost effective role of helicopters and their crews, which, incidentally, was being pushed (against considerable opposition) by my late FiL in the 1960s.

It’s not common knowledge but the history of air support in the UK goes back to 1921.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
kanga, JAFO liked this
By johnm
A4 Pacific wrote:
the very cost effective role of helicopters and their crews, which, incidentally, was being pushed (against considerable opposition) by my late FiL in the 1960s.

It’s not common knowledge but the history of air support in the UK goes back to 1921.

You've been reading JAFO's book haven't you :lol:
T6Harvard, A4 Pacific, JAFO liked this
By kanga
A4 Pacific wrote:..

.. and the idea goes quite a long way back in fiction, too, and not just in English :) :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55834&start=93

[the cited novel was published in 1931]
A4 Pacific liked this
By JAFO
A4 Pacific wrote:It’s not common knowledge but the history of air support in the UK goes back to 1921.

I would love it if it became rather more common knowledge through the medium of Above the Law priced £9.99 from all good bookshops. :wink:

Although I love this one from 1953.

johnm, Tim Dawson, kanga liked this
By TopCat
JAFO wrote:I would love it if it became rather more common knowledge through the medium of Above the Law priced £9.99 from all good bookshops. :wink:

It was £1 off when I ordered it from Blackwells the other day, still with free delivery.

Hope that's not £1 that you're not getting!