Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
hI @Miscellaneous - Well, I'm glad it's getting out and about with you if nothing else and it did sound like a pretty perfect plan.

It was a glorious day down here yesterday, too. I popped to Duxford, which was quite busy. From overhead Suffolk you could see right down into Kent across all the fields either just harvested or waiting for the combine.
T6Harvard liked this
By JAFO
As those of you who have been following this thread know, the initial print run of Above the Law sold out within ten days which was, obviously, fantastic news but it has meant that it's been unavailable for a little while, it is now back in stock. Thanks to everyone for the support so far.

I've been doing so much promotion of it that, if you rush to Amazon, you might be able to pick up one of the rare unsigned copies.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Above-Law-Adventures-police-helicopter/dp/1785632620/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1628751913&sr=8-3

Of course, you can remedy the unsigned nature of your book by coming along to the fly-in on 2nd October at Hinderclay Meadows.

:thumleft:
kanga, T6Harvard, tr7v8 liked this
By RobW
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58176944

Im halfway through the book and thoroughly enjoying it (Amazon review to follow!) But this really puts the skill required into perspective, Im still struggling to spot the (international) Airport where I am learning!

Massive respect
JAFO, TopCat liked this
By JAFO
RobW wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-58176944

Im halfway through the book and thoroughly enjoying it (Amazon review to follow!) But this really puts the skill required into perspective, Im still struggling to spot the (international) Airport where I am learning!

Massive respect

It was a good spot. From the way the camera moved I could almost hear the person in the back - who has a slightly larger screen - say "What was that? Go back a bit."

I mention in the book that my quickest missing person search was 32 seconds but it tended to be the case on any job that you could resolve it in ten minutes or you would spend an hour and a half on it, very little middle ground and I'm guessing this job in Devon fell into the latter category.

I'm glad you're enjoying it Rob. Thanks for the offer of an Amazon review, every one makes a huge difference. :thumleft:
Last edited by JAFO on Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
T6Harvard liked this
By JAFO
From @lobstaboy's post, it's also interesting to see the thermal scarring where she'd been lying or sat on the ground which remained obvious after she moved away and would have done for some time afterwards.
By JAFO
JH - if you're on here, thank you for the review.

This is a fantastic read - hugely entertaining and insightful. Very soon you'll find yourself immersed and airborne with JAFO and his crew over the English countryside, day and night. It's a very human story amidst the machinery.

Thanks also to anyone else who has taken the time to leave a review on Amazon, it means so much to me.
T6Harvard, Hollman liked this
By Hollman
OK - you got me. I loved the book - it reminded me of the time I spent with the local SAR Wessex before I joined the RAF. The organisational dis-functionality was something I witnessed much later in my career.
JAFO liked this
By johnm
Amazon wouldn’t let me leave a review as I buy too little. I got it from local bookshop within 24 hours
JAFO liked this
By TopCat
Just finished it.

I enjoyed it very much - I think It's really very good. Remarkably so, actually. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did, as I was kinda expecting a bazillion stories of finding bad guys, mad guys, sick guys and possibly dead guys to get quite samey.

But it really didn't, because so many pictures and stories were interwoven as the narrative unfolded that it kept my interest to the end. It's also very well written. There's no clumsy language; the humour isn't overdone or too cheesy, and the historical interludes are just about the right length to not be tempted to skip over them.

They say you get to know an author through their writings. I think this one is actually a pretty decent bloke.

I'll certainly review it on Amazon and anywhere else he'd like me to.
Dave W, JAFO, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By ChampChump
I read it slowly on Kindle and enjoyed it; a friend had also read it (on my blind recommendation) and rates it highly. It's an interesting insight into what already seems to be a bygone era. It's not easy to write well enough to reach both the 'general' reader and those with some knowledge of any of its subject areas, but that's what's been achieved.

:thumleft:
JAFO, T6Harvard liked this