Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Amazon is now showing: FREE Delivery by Saturday, Sep 4 for Prime members

Prefer paperback, but might try Kindle.
By JAFO
patowalker wrote:Amazon is now showing: FREE Delivery by Saturday, Sep 4 for Prime members

Prefer paperback, but might try Kindle.

I hope that by this time next week that date will have moved forward significantly. I also have a couple of copies if you PM me we can work something out. :thumright:
By matthew_w100
I got my copy from uk.bookshop.org, in three days, last week. Which meant that a local bookshop that I nominated got a few quid of the asking price instead of Jeff Bezos getting it, which has got to be a good thing.

Super book; I'm loving it.
JAFO, johnm, Rob L liked this
By JAFO
matthew_w100 wrote:As a matter of interest, JAFO, do YOU get the same slice of the price whoever sells it to me? How does book retail work?

It's a complicated business and I don't get a set amount per book. JK Rowling and Dan Brown are on that kind of deal but it's not one that I was offered. The bigger publishing houses do still work that way to some extent. The smaller independent publishers have to be more creative with their deals but the plus side is that they can take a punt on an unknown far more readily than a big publisher. I think buying direct from the publisher is about the best deal for me and for them but any sales anywhere are great.
T6Harvard liked this
By Dave W
JAFO wrote:The smaller independent publishers have to be more creative with their deals but the plus side is that they can take a punt on an unknown far more readily than a big publisher.

The publisher's selection of other books at the back of yours was intriguing for likely just that reason - not standard subjects for autobiographies but no less fascinating subjects.

I'm likely ordering at least one of those. What's yer cut of that? ;)
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Dave W wrote:
JAFO wrote:The smaller independent publishers have to be more creative with their deals but the plus side is that they can take a punt on an unknown far more readily than a big publisher.

The publisher's selection of other books at the back of yours was intriguing for likely just that reason - not standard subjects for autobiographies but no less fascinating subjects.

I'm likely ordering at least one of those. What's yer cut of that? ;)

I agree. And now we all know where to send our own manuscripts :thumright:
Dave W, kanga liked this
By JAFO
Dave W wrote:
JAFO wrote:I'm likely ordering at least one of those. What's yer cut of that? ;)

Nothing more than hoping they'll do the same for me.

There are some really great books and some amazing stories published by Eye Books, including one by Jules Mountain who was in a recent edition of FLYER. Even though I get a healthy discount, I have probably spent more on other books they publish than I will earn from mine.

I don't mind, though; I once heard someone say: "I pity people who don't read, they only get to live the one life."
Dave W, ChampChump, T6Harvard and 3 others liked this
By T6Harvard
So many books, so little time .....

Just tucking into Jackie Moggridge's autobiography. It covers a lot more than her ATA work. It is fascinating.
Dave W liked this
By Miscellaneous
Well, @JAFO, waking to a glorious morning yesterday I formed a childlike plan for finishing your book. I would forgo airfield cafes and throw a packed lunch and the book in the aeroplane and take off to a deserted sun soaked beach on a remote island to finish it, reporting back with my own little story of your book.

Alas it was not a plan that came together. Having called for PPR and set off, all was on track , however as I approached my chosen destination doubts crept in. I was beneath a beautiful blue sky, yet on the horizon my remote island appeared to be under a blanket of cloud. Perfectly flyable, but not conducive to sitting on a beach reading your book. And I confess at wondering if the front coming in from the west was a little closer than forecast.

What can I say, other than my copy of your book visited the island of Coll. :oops:

Mainland Britain's most westerly point, Ardnamurchan, basks in sunshine below. Coll 10 or so miles distant doesn't appear to be fairing so well.

As requested I called Oban to advise of my arrival and apologise for not being able to pay my landing fee due to having left my wallet in the car, so keen had I been to get away. :lol: I ate my lunch, drank my coffee and headed back to the sunshine.

There are plenty of beaches to choose from, but can I put off finishing the book until my next visit? :wink:

patowalker, JAFO, T6Harvard liked this