Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
Thanks @TopCat - I am chuffed to bits that you enjoyed it so much and I was touched by your kind comments.

A review on Amazon would be much appreciated.

I hope that I get the chance to meet you and lots of other forumites at the Hinderclay Meadows Fly-in on 2nd October.
T6Harvard liked this
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's not impossible that I could be at Hinderclay on the 2nd October, given that my sister lives exactly a mile away in Botesdale... combined with a visit to the Star Wing brewery the evening before. Be nice to wander across and say hello.
JAFO liked this
By Hooligan
Cheers Terry, alas I have neither an aircraft or a licence, so if it happens I will be on foot! When visiting a few weeks ago I did see the Grob 109 wandering around (and a hen harrier!) and wondered where it was flying from - we almost walked past your eastern threshold on our Saturday morning stroll.

(I do have two planes but we all know what they should be used for!)
townleyc liked this
By rikur_
Finally finished reading - excellent engaging and informative read. Shame it didn't have a happy ending. I'll get round to Amazon review later.
By JAFO
rikur_ wrote:Finally finished reading - excellent engaging and informative read. Shame it didn't have a happy ending. I'll get round to Amazon review later.

I'm glad you liked it. I really appreciate every Amazon review, they help massively.

If it's any compensation for the undoubtedly difficult times that air support in the UK has faced over the last decade, I did live and that's a pretty happy ending.

Not only did I live, I also got back into private flying and am having an absolute ball. In fact, you heard it here first folks, I'm in discussions with my publisher about another book, this time focussing on my private flying. Being a bit of a wimp, though, and shunning the more adventurous and exiting aspects of light aviation, I am just trying to work out if I have enough stories to fill a book.
T6Harvard, Miscellaneous, Dave W and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Oh, that's great news about the second book. And the fact that you lived :mrgreen:

You do have the contents of the next book, having an absolute ball, the passion, the little facts that are fascinating to 'outsiders', no doubt some history :D , things you have seen as well as been involved in. Yep, it's going to be a winner!

Do they want one about extreme joys and woes of learning?? :lol:
JAFO liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Maybe have an archeological bent to it, like your excellent videos. Perhaps incorporate some nice photography, though I've no idea how practical or costly such a book is to produce.
JAFO liked this
By Crash one
A book describing the whole process of deciding, learning and enjoying private flying would be a most excellent thing, to educate the public that it is not just for rich kids.
T6Harvard, JAFO, rikur_ and 1 others liked this
By avtur3
JAFO wrote:@avtur3 - that's really touching and I am humbled that my book might just be the one to bring you back to reading after all those years.

I sincerely hope that you do enjoy it and would love to hear your thoughts on it some time.

Thanks, mate.

Ordered from Amazon and as promised I haven't looked at the number on the last page :lol:

I'm about halfway through and totally enjoying it, I find your writing style extremely enjoyable. I'm glad that you started this thread and brought my attention to your book.

I spent a few years in GMP, before getting into the aviation fuel game, many of your tales have brought back memories of situations I have been in myself. Somehow I had completely forgotten about the time I spent in the divisional communications room, receiving 999 calls from the public and operating the radio system.

So not only is it an entertaining read but a reminder of my own previous life experiences.

I imagine that recounting the story of your own experiences learning to fly would be would be an entertaining read. :thumleft:
JAFO liked this
By TopCat
JAFO wrote:Thanks also to anyone else who has taken the time to leave a review on Amazon, it means so much to me.

Done! Apparently it'll be a little while before it appears but hopefully they'll approve it even though I didn't buy it from Amazon.
JAFO liked this
By JAFO
TopCat wrote:
JAFO wrote:Thanks also to anyone else who has taken the time to leave a review on Amazon, it means so much to me.

Done! Apparently it'll be a little while before it appears but hopefully they'll approve it even though I didn't buy it from Amazon.

Cheers, TC.