Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Maybe have an archeological bent to it, like your excellent videos. Perhaps incorporate some nice photography, though I've no idea how practical or costly such a book is to produce.

Paul, it's hard to stop me going on about guff like that so I reckon it'll make its way in. When I say photography my editor goes a little pale, when I say colour photography, he has to hang onto the back of a chair or a nearby table for support.
Last edited by JAFO on Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By JAFO
Crash one wrote:A book describing the whole process of deciding, learning and enjoying private flying would be a most excellent thing, to educate the public that it is not just for rich kids.

I'll definitely show that it's not for rich kids. Whether I can remember enough about learning to fly or will have to leave that book to @T6Harvard, we'll have to wait and see.
T6Harvard, Crash one liked this
By ChampChump
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bump, thump.

It was good to meet the new publishing sensation today. I hope more sales were made. :D

And a pm is on its way.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By JAFO
ChampChump wrote:Bump, thump.

It was good to meet the new publishing sensation today. I hope more sales were made. :D

And a pm is on its way.

Great to meet you and see your beautiful aeroplane today. I really enjoyed having the chance to chat in person.

And, thanks, I sold out completely today.
Flyin'Dutch', PeteSpencer, ChampChump and 2 others liked this
By JAFO
If you've been kind enough to buy a copy of Above the Law and to read it, I really would be over the moon if you could leave a review on Goodreads or on Amazon - you don't need to have bought the book there in order to review it. Every single one helps an unknown author and a small, independent publisher. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Above-Law-Adventures-police-helicopter/dp/1785632620/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1630304194&sr=8-1
By terryws
We are hosting the Book Signing for Adrian Bleese (JAFO) on 2nd October at Hinderclay Meadows

Please consider visiting.

[b]New News
We are hoping to have the Velis Electro at the fly-in[/b]

Hinderclay Meadows Autumn Fly-In & Book Signing
2 October 2021
Suffolk Soaring invites you to a Fly-In at our airfield at Hinderclay in North Suffolk on 2nd October 2021. The airfield opens at 10:30, and the landing fee is £5 per aircraft. Tea and coffee will be provided. A catering van will be on the airfield with bacon rolls, burgers and cold drinks, or bring a picnic lunch or bring cake to share!
Radio channel for this event will be 132.905
We will also be hosting a “Book Signing” by Adrian Bleese, (AKA "JAFO" of this parish) who recently published his memoir of flying in the Suffolk Police helicopter as an observer. The book is titled “Above the Law”, and I can confirm the book is a riveting read. If you have not already purchased a copy of Adrian’s book copies will be available to purchase on the day. Adrian’s publisher, Eye Books, will be providing copies of other titles they publish.
I know many of you have already had this invite, so if you have already responded your PPR is confirmed. Please note the additional information
PPR is required purely to limit numbers due to limited parking. Phone or text to: 07485 072155
Details of the book:
Above the Law, by Adrian Blees
Published by Eye Books Ltd
ISBN 9781785633624
http://www.eye-books.com
Kind regards
Terry Slater
M: 07485 072155
JAFO liked this
By PeteSpencer
Congratulations JAFO on the two page. spread today in the Bury Free Press, our local rag.

Should do the sales some good :thumleft:
By JAFO
Thanks @PeteSpencer - I haven't seen it yet but hope to pick up a copy when I am in Bury St Edmunds on Sunday, appearing at the Literature Festival (1pm at the Unitarian Meeting House on Churchgate Street - tickets still available :wink:).
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By TopCat
terryws wrote:We are hosting the Book Signing for Adrian Bleese (JAFO) on 2nd October at Hinderclay Meadows

A bit short notice, but I don't suppose it's possible to move this to Sunday 3rd?

Weather's looking pretty unpleasant on Saturday afternoon, but quite nice apart from the odd shower on Sunday.
By JAFO
TopCat wrote:
terryws wrote:We are hosting the Book Signing for Adrian Bleese (JAFO) on 2nd October at Hinderclay Meadows

A bit short notice, but I don't suppose it's possible to move this to Sunday 3rd?

Weather's looking pretty unpleasant on Saturday afternoon, but quite nice apart from the odd shower on Sunday.

I agree with your forecast, TC, but I'm afraid that I can't make it on Sunday. The weather is just going to have to buck its ideas up.
terryws liked this
By JAFO
Stansted's 24 hour TAF. which is normally the gloomiest thing in east, is still only saying PROB30 TEMPO for low cloud, rain and plagues of boils.

To me, that's a 70% chance of it being okay most of the time. :thumright: Let's stay optimistic and hope the rains go through today.
By terryws
[u]@TopCat wrote:

[/u]

Unfortunately not possible. We have booked toilets and burger van, plus taken visitor bookings from c.40 pilots. Toilets and catering haved to be booked months ahead, and if we cancel or delay we will have to pay!

Terry
By Hooligan
Bloody weather! Sincerely hope you do get a rather better day than forecast - unfortunately I won't be Chez Sister otherwise I would have donned snorkel and flippers and swum round regardless...
JAFO liked this
By TopCat
JAFO wrote:Stansted's 24 hour TAF. which is normally the gloomiest thing in east, is still only saying PROB30 TEMPO for low cloud, rain and plagues of boils.

To me, that's a 70% chance of it being okay most of the time. :thumright: Let's stay optimistic and hope the rains go through today.

Much as I'd be delighted to be wrong, I suspect that the newer TAF is going to be on the money:

BECMG 0211/0214 15020G30KT 7000 RA BKN012
TEMPO 0214/0218 15026G40KT 2500 +RA BKN006=

Heathrow (near White Waltham where I'd have to get back to) is now:

BECMG 0210/0213 17018G28KT -RA
TEMPO 0211/0218 6000 RA BKN012
PROB40 TEMPO 0212/0218 3000 +RA BKN008
PROB30 TEMPO 0214/0216 17026G38KT
PROB30 TEMPO 0216/0218 20026G42KT=

If it's like that, I'm out, sadly.

I might just get a quick trip to Coventry in first thing, but Hinderclay isn't looking good.