Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
@T6Harvard - that's still very much "in development" - I have to think of how to put it together. I'm not yet sure how to tackle my story and whether there are quite enough adventures to make it a good read.

The Self Improver by Nick Eades, that you recommended, is brilliant and I've really enjoyed reading that when, perhaps, I should have been writing.

However, my next book is with the publisher and we'll have to wait and see how that goes. It's kind of a travel book, plenty of aviation references and history, too. You'll be among the very first to know how discussions go. :thumleft:
kanga, T6Harvard, Ben K liked this
By lobstaboy
JAFO wrote:Just when everybody thought I'd run out of things to say and was, therefore, forced to shut up about Above the Law, they've only gone and released it as an audiobook.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audible-Above-the-Law/dp/B09RCWXW1S/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1643442317&sr=1-1

Blimey. 9hrs23mins of @JAFO to listen to.
Not sure if I could cope with that. ;)
Very many congratulations Adrian. Somehow it being turned into an audiobook feels even more of an accolade than the initial publication!
Bl00dy well done.
JAFO, T6Harvard, terryws and 1 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:Just when everybody thought I'd run out of things to say and was, therefore, forced to shut up about Above the Law, they've only gone and released it as an audiobook.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audible-Above-the-Law/dp/B09RCWXW1S/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1643442317&sr=1-1

'Nine hours! Holy cr ap! How many G & Ts did that take.................? :lol:
JAFO liked this
By JAFO
PeteSpencer wrote:'Nine hours! Holy cr ap! How many G & Ts did that take.................? :lol:

About as many as I expect it would take to listen to it? :thumright:
By XX
Recently read Above The Law, a cracking read and I really enjoyed it!
JAFO, tr7v8 liked this
By JAFO
Maybe somebody was listening in to the Flyer Livestream as NPAS have announced:

Chair of the National Strategic Board, John Campion said: “Since January 2020, the aeroplanes have mainly served the North East region, from their base in Doncaster. The aircraft will now be used to support operational policing, in conjunction with the helicopter fleet, across England and Wales.

“Following consideration of the fleet’s capability, endurance and cost, the Board determined that the aeroplanes offer increased value as a national asset.

“The excellent endurance of the aeroplanes makes them particularly suitable for policing large scale events, as well as being highly effective in conducting lengthy searches and carrying out prolonged vehicle pursuits.”

I think that's what I said they should do.

The fact that I also said it a decade ago along with dozens of other people is neither here nor there, I suppose.
kanga, Dave W, T6Harvard and 2 others liked this
By A4 Pacific
It’s always been the case that when used correctly, fixed wing assets are a good option for police work. They provide approximately two thirds the capability for approximately half the price. What’s not to like?

However that does depend on selecting the right platform. I have no particular knowledge of the Partenavias. I’ve heard they were a poor choice, but the Islander, both piston and turbine was excellent throughout the 1990s.

It also depends on their location and ability to self launch.

Having said all of that, though I spent many happy years at Wakefield, I left long before the advent of the utterly shambolic NPAS. I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever that anything other than the dire Air Support service provided by that organisation will ever be forthcoming. We have fallen a very, very long way from the amazing work done by Police Air Support in the ‘90s.

What a dreadful waste!
JAFO liked this
By Hooligan
I noticed one of the NPAS P-68s loafing around Croydon during Lockdown #1 (I think it was) while I was out for my daily exercise. Looking at ADSB it had orbited quite a number of locations around England during the sortie from its base in Yorkshire (Doncaster?) , so quite a good range and loiter capability it seems.

The aerial survey ones seem to stay airborne for a fair time too - my endurance would not be anything like as good I suspect!