Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
and you forfeit this if the weather is bad or your aircraft goes tech or Covid says no and you cannot get there!

Although not an official procedure of the event, Sywell has a IFR approach which I hope could be opened up if it really got bad.

If you got Covid or your plane goes tech, there's no guarantee of a refund as it's not the fault of the aerodrome/event organisers. They may, like other places/events, offer exchange vouchers as a goodwill gesture though, but I doubt they would hand them out if one just didn't feel like flying.
By Flyin'Dutch'
@James Chan The Rallye is specifically VFR only as is detailed in the extensive AIC.

PS - less than 13 quid for landing AND admission for all the aeroplane occupants. There are truly some Victor Meldrew's on here..
By mick w
Now , when you can peel an Orange in your Pocket with one Hand , without letting the smell out , then you can claim to be 'careful' . :wink: :thumright:
By Flying_john
Or do what reasonable event organisers do:-

So just to confirm for the hard of thinking, its not about paying a fair landing fee, its about paying for something and taking the responsibility for the risk of it not being possible to attend, whether from more lockdown shenanigans, poor weather, or technical aeroplane issues. This risk is normally borne by the event organisers, not the participants.

By ThePipster
Evening all,

I strongly feel that paying for the landing / slot in advance is a signifcant step in the right direction!

I am sure that this will put me at odds with many of those pilots that think that this is a huge infringement of their human rights, but hear me out for a moment....

It was not unusual for a single pilot to book as many as five, yes five!, slots for the same aircraft with the same pilot over a Rally weekend. We used to try to delete duplicate bookings as best we could but every year we would have many more bookings than aircraft arriving.

Everytime sombody booked a slot "just in case", we had to turn someone else away, that's just not fair.

I fully support the idea of prepaid slots with the flexibilty to change based on weather/airworthiness constraints, but booking multiple slots with the intention of only using one just simply is not fair on others.

Pipster
seanxair, Rob P, shortwing and 8 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Wabash wrote:Not been for a number of years, is dayglo now mandatory for wandering airside.. :?:

No. You must take a leaflet and read it though...even if you've just come in from airside! :D
By shortwing
Flying_john wrote:Or do what reasonable event organisers do:-

So just to confirm for the hard of thinking, its not about paying a fair landing fee, its about paying for something and taking the responsibility for the risk of it not being possible to attend, whether from more lockdown shenanigans, poor weather, or technical aeroplane issues. This risk is normally borne by the event organisers, not the participants.

Give over, hard of thinking?

If they make a loss then next year they won’t host it, then the same happens next year until no one wants to host it or the organisers find it demotivating to organise because people get agitated over a landing fee because they didn’t make it for whatever reason

That’s not so hard to think about is it :wink:

If you’re too tight to pay under £13 including your entry to the rally with a risk you may not be able to make it then I’ll pay for it to support the event.

Enjoy the Rally :thumleft:
Last edited by shortwing on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
shortwing wrote:If they make a loss then next year they won’t host it, then the same happens next year until no one wants to host it or the organisers find it demotivating to organise

Likewise if people keep paying the money but can't go because of the weather or their aeroplane going tech, they're very unlikely to want to keep paying year after year.

shortwing wrote:because people get agitated over a landing fee.

I don't think anyone's getting agitated over a landing fee, provided they actually land.

shortwing wrote:If you’re too tight to pay under £13 including your entry to the rally then Christ I’ll pay for it to support the event.

Having entry included may mean that if you're weathered off, you choose to drive there instead maybe. Could work. But it's probably a 6 hour or more return trip for most people.

This could be advertised differently maybe. Get everyone to make a £13 donation to the cause, then it's up to you if you turn up or not!
By shortwing
It’s £13 if for whatever reason I can’t make it. In a hobby where that’s peanuts?

If people don’t want to risk losing £13 then don’t book to go
By Paul_Sengupta
shortwing wrote:It’s £13 if for whatever reason I can’t make it. In a hobby where that’s peanuts?

It's more like a burger and chips in a pub in the south east of England... :D

shortwing wrote:If people don’t want to risk losing £13 then don’t book to go

I think that's the thing that some people are afraid of, not enough people booking to go. Maybe if they don't, there'll be enough open slots to be able book at the last minute if the weather is forecast to be good. If all the slots are gone by then, the original ploy of charging in advance worked fine!