Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TopCat wrote:it will be a cold day in hell before I'd ever go other than by air.

So you wouldn't drive in if your aeroplane was down for any reason?

I've driven in a couple of times. Maybe more.
By TopCat
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
TopCat wrote:it will be a cold day in hell before I'd ever go other than by air.

So you wouldn't drive in if your aeroplane was down for any reason?

Definitely not.

Well I say 'definitely'.... I might conceivably go if I had a very good reason to visit a particular exhibitor that was otherwise very difficult to get to.

But no. It has zero appeal other than flying in. All those people.... :shock:

That said, flying in has enormous appeal. The quiet in the evening when the weather is good, and the bustle turns into peace is lovely. Especially once the wine is open. Can't make it this year unfortunately.
Last edited by TopCat on Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
I have driven once.

It convinced me never to do so again, and certainly not to go to the expense of taking an aeroplane there when there are so many better places to visit.

I'm sorry tat stalls and trade stands just aren't my thing.

Rob P
TopCat, Trent772 liked this
By Rob P
If I have a regret it is that this means I will never get to meet @Tim Dawson, shake his hand and thank him for what he and his team have given us.

Rob P
Dave W liked this
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Rob, just come and see us there. We have to drive in to the Rally, every day, the hours are long and it’s a pain. But we do it because we get to meet customers and that can be a lot of fun :D
Rob P, mick w, Cub and 5 others liked this
By trevs99uk
LAA Rally slotting system.

In past years the system allowed for 2 arrivals a minute but in 2019 they changed this to 1 a minute..
Hope they go back to 2 a minute..

Perhaps only have a slotting system for prime hours only.....

Pilots who block slots by booking a slot for every day and only intend on coming 1 day.

Departures.
most years we get held up in a stream of departing aircraft mainly waiting for the hard runway when we want to depart on the grass. Can i suggest the departure queues get split in hard and grass.
By CloudHound
Departures this year are planned to all start from a single holding point. A2 for 03L/R and B2 for 21L/R.

The reason for the change is that it isn't AFIS this year but Air Ground. That limits the control that can be exercised on the flow of take-offs in order to avoid simultaneous parallel departures.

There will be a short embargo each day on arrivals to help create space though.
By Rob P
I think John is teasing.

He's resentful as he would really like Permit costs but he's stuck with CAA certification.

He has our sympathy, of course :D

Rob P
By Flying_john
So it sounds like you will have to pay the entry/landing fee when you book and you forfeit this if the weather is bad or your aircraft goes tech or Covid says no and you cannot get there!

I can imagine that will cause some disquiet amongst members.
So how's this for an idea:-.

You book the first slot FREE - if you choose to book a second and a third you pay for those slots.

Hopefully this stops people booking a slot everyday and only using one slot.
Last edited by Flying_john on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.