Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CloudHound
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes but no but.

Intended provision is now AGCS but back when I had to file the AIC to meet the set-in-stone AIRAC cycle that wasn’t clear.

So look out for the mother of all NOTAMS correcting this AIC to account for those changes to phraseology imposed by the different level of service.
G-BLEW, Cookie liked this
By Flying_john
Do we know when the PPR system opens ?

I see that we make the one call leaving Pitsford now instead of on final.

Corrected to say two calls, there is one on final too.
Last edited by Flying_john on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MattL
[not at all a dig at people involved] but it is quite staggering that in 2021 in the age of the internet / instant comms we have issued a pretty complicated safety critical procedural document, which is known to be significantly inaccurate, and are now going to amend that for actual operations using a no doubt messy and complex NOTAM - all because of a decades old paper publishing cycle restriction.
Cub, vintage ATCO liked this
By CloudHound
It'll be available via the Sywell Aerodrome website, the LAA website, all social media channels and hopefully Flyer will do the honours and if you give your address I'll post you a paper copy too. :lol:

We are required by CAA to publish an AIC not only because of it being a large event but because a RA(T) has been established.
By Cub
CloudHound wrote:It'll be available via the Sywell Aerodrome website, the LAA website, all social media channels and hopefully Flyer will do the honours and if you give your address I'll post you a paper copy too. :lol:

We are required by CAA to publish an AIC not only because of it being a large event but because a RA(T) has been established.

Having just seen today, a RA(T) of extensive size and some complexity published at very short notice (a few hours) via a AIS Briefing Sheet, I would urge you to push for the same facility to be afforded to the LAA Rally, particularly, if as you indicate, subsequent changes to the AIC are going to result in a long and complex NOTAM.
Last edited by Cub on Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P liked this
By Cub
Dave W wrote:People have been saying that for years, and it never has been.

In fairness, it is invariably very easy to drive in and out of the LAA Rally and once there, access to a vast array of interesting aeroplanes and their owners is exceptionally good. However, nothing beats the magic of flying into the Rally and being part of the spectacle, especially if you elect to camp under the wing and partake in the great social side of the event.
seanxair, rohmer liked this
By seanxair
Cub wrote:However, nothing beats the magic of flying into the Rally and being part of the spectacle, especially if you elect to camp under the wing and partake in the great social side of the event.

Which is what I would really like to do
By Dave W
Fair enough, driving is probably a bit easier. However the inference that flying in is difficult or complicated is very wide of the mark.

The AIC is lengthy, sure, but that is because it has many options (and other things ;)) to cover.

The principles behind that detail are as simple as they have ever been.

People really shouldn't be put off by the size of the document, and indeed it explicitly makes that point on page 1 this year.

Driving in to the LAA Rally when you could have flown in is like taking your thermos and slippers to Nero's 21st.
rohmer liked this
By TopCat
Cub wrote:However, nothing beats the magic of flying into the Rally and being part of the spectacle, especially if you elect to camp under the wing and partake in the great social side of the event.

Very much this ^

I've camped over a couple of times, flown in for the day once, and it will be a cold day in hell before I'd ever go other than by air.

There are only three things to remember:

1. Follow the procedure, which if you can read, is trivial.
2. Keep a very good lookout once you're close.
3. Don't be a muppet*.

It's quite exciting the first time, fun thereafter.

____

* I never fail to be amazed at how many people call up for joining instructions, thus proving to everyone on frequency that they simply shouldn't be allowed to have a pilots licence.

Edit...

Oh, and don't be 'that guy' in the red biplane. If you're going to vacate at the end, land long and expedite.
ak7274 liked this