Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
This has become the way with most spectator airshows these days. Duxford, Old Warden etc.

Advance tickets only and if the weather is bad you just have to suck it up.

The reasons are obvious

Rob P
By CloudHound
Have a debit/credit card to hand pretty please? :D

Thing is there was a high percentage of no shows for the last Rally of which only a proportion could be linked to weather.

I understand you can use the booking as a ticket to arrive by road but acknowledge that won’t suit everyone.

We’re trying to set up an opportunity slot system each morning which would help last minute bookings.

I have a £25 ticket for Farnboro that weekend which I’ll loose as it’s a show delayed from May last year.
By CloudHound
So I've just added another page to the AIC :roll:

Worry not it's just the letter C so the Marshallers know to park the a/c for camping.

To be fair to Jeff Bell, who developed the AIC over many years, he was at the behest of various people from the CAA who dangled approval in return for more and more detail. Having lived and breathed the document for weeks I now regard it like the small print on a software installation licence. It has to be there.

Out of it though has come an essential handy guide with the joining instructions from appendices, the big letters to show in the windscreen and the taxiway routing. That's it.

One of the last items to nail down is the advice to foreign arrivals as clearly in a Covid 19/post Brexit world Alphonse AuRevoir can't just pitch up in his Jurca as in previous years. :lol:
rohmer, Dave W liked this
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
shortwing wrote:Or just pay for the slot accepting it costs money to run an airfield and events

Or not bother !

I can't abide organised events where the risk is pushed on to the prospective visitor.

The fee primarily goes to the airfield. The LAA gets their return from the stallholders.

This is supposed to be a members event. We have already paid to be members and yet are being asked to shoulder the risk of the airfield not getting landing landing fees.
By shortwing
John your long standing dislike for paying landing fees is well documented on these forums. If you don't want to pay don't go.

I'm sure no one here apart from you objects to paying to ensure the event runs year on year.

If I lost £20 because of the weather I would not be upset considering how much my hobby costs in general.

Have a great day :thumleft:
Kittyhawk, Aeronco, ak7274 and 1 others liked this
By Flying_john
I'll stick to my principles.

Its not about the money - I rarely pay anyway, its often a grateful passenger that has arrived for free that pays.
By Flying_john
shortwing wrote:John your long standing dislike for paying landing fees is well documented on these forums. If you don't want to pay don't go.

No-One objects to FAIR landing fees.

But why has it not been made fair and reasonable. You are only protecting Sywells income. Its not the LAAs money, which I do support through membership fees, engineering fees and even donations.

I don't think enough thought has gone into this and it is a knee jerk reaction to abusers of the slot system in years past.
By Mike Tango
I suppose ultimately you can’t fly into a housing estate, well probably not deliberately anyway.

A rally needs suitable hosting airfields to exist. Such airfields can be helped, or not as one chooses, through difficult times when they will have fixed costs in support of the rally whether or not one is able to arrive by air.
Flyin'Dutch', shortwing, ak7274 and 3 others liked this
By Rob P
Slot booking opens Wednesday I am informed by the LAA.

Rob P