Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Missed my point entirely, again , SD.

As usual. :thumleft:

Regards
By Rob P
Red wrote:How about a runway obstruction/hole you didnt spot from your OHJ when you decided it would be fine to arrive unannounced at someone elses property?

Who is arriving unannounced?

I have a perfectly good radio.

If it was a non-FISO day, who is going to be aware of this suddenly appearing pothole? Are they not going to have someone with a handheld warning people?

We can go on creating ever more unlikely scenario with a horrible death being the result of not making a phone call if this, this and this were to happen. None of which changes the fact that the UK is unique across Europe in insisting on this pettyfogging bit of minor bureaucracy.

Rob P
bilko2 liked this
By SteveX
For licensed airfields it's an utter hassle and pointless process. They are supposed to meet certain safely standards so it can't be for that reason they all want ppr. It must now be verging on 99% of British airfields need this ppr tosh. Then there is the pathetic meaningless 'booking out' to get out of some of them, what's wrong with the first radio call being that 'booking out' - whatever that is? Warning ATC| that X will be calling up for departure in X minutes?

Then there is the multitude of things some ask for - pilots name, number on board, where from/to. Yes some might say oh that's nice for if it goes wrong. Well how often does it go wrong? For unlicensed, yes if there is something about the airfield unusual or it is truly private. But for licensed then the likes of Blackpool, Elstree, Leicester, Sywell, Cranfield, Old Buck, all the Scottish ones - truly and utterly pointless and just another admin burden that is unnecessary. The ATC/FISO should warn on radio if anything to watch out for, and in any case it would be notam'd.

Imagine if we had to ppr for motorway services just to pull in and park (and eat). I dont see us ppr ing to drive on highways so the cops know that x is going to be on x road hence if they crash we know who they may be.
Rob P, JodelDavo, Ibra and 2 others liked this
By Rob P
Absolutely

As in the "What if a pothole suddenly appears" argument for PPR.

Rob P
By Ibra
The grass may look greener elsewhere but it’s not, however, nothing comes closer to “99.99% of UK AIP runways are strict PPR”

In Germany, in 90% of non-ATC airports, you will need someone to be physically present for you to land & takeoff but I understand they will get this none-sense scrapped out of the way from next year?

In France, few AIP airports are not CAP according to DGAC, more of them now are going into “strict PPR fashion”, this is spreading like cancer in Normandy & Brittany & Loire (Avranches, Puthiviers, SaintAndre, ToursLeLouroux to name few but others are following soon) as “the hi-viz jacket muppets” are getting expertise from “the green muppets”

Try calling DGAC, LeMaire or Aeroclub President to get PPR and you will see how much “batons dans les roues” you will get in the name of safety & environment !
By 2Donkeys
It amazes me that so much can be written about such a slight irritation. Perhaps indicative of behavioural characteristics of the gender and age demographic that dominates the world of light GA?

(Above image intended to illustrate GA Pilot Demographic. No inference should be drawn relating to the behavioural characteristics of anybody pictured!)
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By Rob P
malcolmfrost wrote:PPR isn't required at that airfield

You make the point so beautifully. Those days when equating flying = freedom have passed. Those of us who remember them flock to places where there is less pointless red tape :D

Rob P
JodelDavo liked this
By PeteSpencer
Deleted
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
2Donkeys wrote:It amazes me that so much can be written about such a slight irritation. Perhaps indicative of behavioural characteristics of the gender and age demographic that dominates the world of light GA?

(Above image intended to illustrate GA Pilot Demographic. No inference should be drawn relating to the behavioural characteristics of anybody pictured!)

Sly, unsubtle and uncharacteristically snarky, @2Donkeys :lol:
By 2Donkeys
PeteSpencer wrote:

I think I prefer 'playful'. ;-)
kanga, Pete L liked this
By PeteSpencer
2Donkeys wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote: