Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rdfb
matthew_w100 wrote:When I didn't arrive per original schedule, he rang Redhill who told him I'd departed at the right time so I must have crashed or got lost.

My group aircraft has ADS-B out. I would hope that in this kind of situation today, flightradar24 would be their first port of call, and then they'd not have to go any further.

And, again because of flightradar24, my wife "stalks" me anyway, and so it's really not necessary for ATSUs or aerodrome operators to watch out for me unless I'm out of range of a receiver or I'm really close to an aerodrome.
By Dman
Getting back to my original question
Rang for PPR, no answer. Happened to mention it to our airfield owner, who informed the guy was away at the moment but to just crack on and go instructor agreed as well ( They are al mates). It`s a small microlight strip so not going to be too busy, blind radio calls etc.
Got my self geared up to go, then the mist and murk descended and stayed there all day.
So still not done my qualifying X country
Maybe this week
By Rob P
Dman wrote:Getting back to my original question

Careful! You might start a trend. :wink:

Rob P
kanga, townleyc, Dman liked this
By chevvron
rdfb wrote:My group aircraft has ADS-B out. I would hope that in this kind of situation today, flightradar24 would be their first port of call, and then they'd not have to go any further.

Is every airfield equipped with FR24 then?
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
matthew_w100 wrote:But it does raise the further PPR question - are you obliged to renew your PPR if details change? And if we are going to have a non-standard thing like PPR in the UK, could we at least have the expected service standardised?!

I'd like to suggest a new aviation word, used to describe situations where at certain airfields, idiosyncratic interpretations of rules, or indeed conventions, spiral out of control into gold-plated administrative nightmares...

I give you:

Bartonisation.
Rob P, rogerb liked this
By malcolmfrost
chevvron wrote:
rdfb wrote:My group aircraft has ADS-B out. I would hope that in this kind of situation today, flightradar24 would be their first port of call, and then they'd not have to go any further.

Is every airfield equipped with FR24 then?

Are you seriously suggesting that there isn't a method for accessing FR24, smartphone, tablet, desktop at each airfield/strip?
By matthew_w100
rdfb wrote:
matthew_w100 wrote:When I didn't arrive per original schedule, he rang Redhill who told him I'd departed at the right time so I must have crashed or got lost.

My group aircraft has ADS-B out. I would hope that in this kind of situation today, flightradar24 would be their first port of call, and then they'd not have to go any further.

And, again because of flightradar24, my wife "stalks" me anyway, and so it's really not necessary for ATSUs or aerodrome operators to watch out for me unless I'm out of range of a receiver or I'm really close to an aerodrome.

In fairness to Shobdon (and I say again, I really LIKE Shobdon - it is a great place to go) my event was several years ago, before FR24 was commonly used.

I also have ADSB now. But a significant number of people I know have gone the other way and removed their transponders, so I shouldn't think FR24 would help all that often.
By malcolmfrost
In which case they don't deserve to be rescued!! That is actually really shocking, we have had our transponder in for service and I feel quite exposed without it, especially operating around Solent. What twisted rationale do they give?
By muffin
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
But a significant number of people I know have gone the other way and removed their transponders, so I shouldn't think FR24 would help all that often

If that is really happening then it is a cause for considerable concern.
By skydriller
malcolmfrost wrote:What twisted rationale do they give?

Well, Id take a wild guess that the following might have something to do with it:

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=105334&hilit=Infringement+research

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119209

As someone said on another thread : the law of unintended consequences?

Regards, SD..
TopCat liked this
By Flyingfemme
skydriller wrote:
Rob P wrote:For crying out loud! It's permission, not an effing flight plan.

Which if in the UK, if you had filed one still wouldnt result in anyone doing anything... :wink:

Had similar at Gloucester last week. DH was on a 3 flight "schedule" and had informed the airport of his rough time of return. He decided to drop in to see a friend and buy some cheap fuel.........coffee and gossip ensued and he was a little later than expected. The tower had just called me to say they were going to initiate overdue action (no flightplan had been filed) when he came on frequency............I was looking at FR24 and knew what had happened.
By Rob P
Flyingfemme wrote:The tower had just called me to say they were going to initiate overdue action (no flightplan had been filed)

Now known as Bartonisation :)

I always try and be vague on telephone PPR anyway "Sometime around lunch" or "Later on this afternoon"

Rob P
By Cub
Rob P wrote:
Now known as Bartonisation :)

Has there been any suggestion that Barton initiate overdue action other than on the basis off an overdue flight plan, or are you just mischief making?
By Rob P
Not I.

It was suggested elsewhere that locally made-up gold plating of procedures could be awarded that accolade. In my opinion the granting of permission to visit an airfield and then treating this as if it was the filing of a flightplan and assuming the recipient has thus been nominated the responsible person to monitor the arrival, or not, falls solidly into this category.

Rob P
TopCat liked this