Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
SteveX wrote:Then there is the multitude of things some ask for - pilots name, number on board, where from/to. Yes some might say oh that's nice for if it goes wrong. Well how often does it go wrong? For unlicensed, yes if there is something about the airfield unusual or it is truly private. But for licensed then the likes of Blackpool, Elstree, Leicester, Sywell, Cranfield, Old Buck, all the Scottish ones - truly and utterly pointless and just another admin burden that is unnecessary. The ATC/FISO should warn on radio if anything to watch out for, and in any case it would be notam'd.

You forgot Fairoaks.
A call on RTF inbound is all that is needed if you've visited before; If you haven't visited before then it's advisable to phone in advance due to the Class D airspace in which it is embedded.
By Red
Who is arriving unannounced?

I have a perfectly good radio.

I think you know as well as I do that most farm strips don't have someone on ground radio and yes I could think of many absurd scenarios, but I'll leave things in the realms of reality, far too much bollox in this thread allready
Popeye, townleyc liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Red wrote:
Who is arriving unannounced?

I have a perfectly good radio.

I think you know as well as I do that most farm strips don't have someone on ground radio and yes I could think of many absurd scenarios, but I'll leave things in the realms of reality, far too much bollox in this thread already

Indeed.

No one is remotely arguing on this thread that farm strip PPR is not entirely reasonable.
malcolmfrost, Rob P, bilko2 and 1 others liked this
By skydriller
Red wrote:I think you know as well as I do that most farm strips don't have someone on ground radio

And i think you know as well as I do that no-one here is talking about farm strips...
malcolmfrost, Rob P, bilko2 liked this
By pullup
I say again (!) the requirement should be PBR. Prior Briefing Required.

I know of one airfield which is in a TMZ, under a TMA and within 1 mile of a Control Zone. It also has multiple activities on the airfield which can affect comings and goings.

To just arrive at these sort of airfields, without any proper briefing, is just poor Airmanship.
Popeye liked this
By James Chan
How many briefings does one need prior to entering a car park where some floors are closed for other activities, and where it is located next to a roundabout that is near a set of traffic lights?

If the markings/charts and procedures are designed clearly, simply, and intuitively, then it would be well understood by the vast majority, and no briefings should be required.
Flyingfemme liked this
By malcolmfrost
pullup wrote:I say again (!) the requirement should be PBR. Prior Briefing Required.

I know of one airfield which is in a TMZ, under a TMA and within 1 mile of a Control Zone. It also has multiple activities on the airfield which can affect comings and goings.

To just arrive at these sort of airfields, without any proper briefing, is just poor Airmanship.

No-one should disagree with that! Is that requirement best served by an overworked AGCS or AFISO on the phone, or would it be better to have a video that could be viewed, similar to the one for Branscombe? https://www.branscombecampsite.com/our-campsite/
Last edited by malcolmfrost on Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pullup, Talkdownman, Rob P liked this
By pullup
James Chan wrote:How many briefings does one need prior to entering a car park where some floors are closed for other activities, and where it is located next to a roundabout that is near a set of traffic lights?

If the markings/charts and procedures are designed clearly, simply, and intuitively, then it would be well understood by the vast majority, and no briefings should be required.

You are showing your inexperience.... :lol:
By TopCat
James Chan wrote:If the markings/charts and procedures are designed clearly, simply, and intuitively,

Sorry, I don't usually do GIFs but....
pullup, JodelDavo, mick w liked this
By James Chan
That's my whole point! Some are complex enough that so many don't get it and still need a briefing on top of their chart, their plate, their NOTAMs, their ATIS, their ATSU, to get it - and some still won't get it after all that!

KISS - Keep It Simple and Stupid. Better for everyone all around.
TopCat liked this
By SteveX
pullup wrote:I say again (!) the requirement should be PBR. Prior Briefing Required.

All of which I would see on the map and by reading the guide (be that AFE, AIP, website). I don't need a briefing ffs to tell me what I can see already. It's pathetic nanny ism at best, control freak at worst. Multiple activities? Tell me about it when I call on the radio if I need to know, and only if I need to know. Telling me 'fixed wing is right hand, watch out for gliders or whatever on left base' I can be told on the radio. Or better still, no radio, that's for a different day though when Britain has finally culturally become a different place where pilots become self aware through self announcing their positions.

Funny how I managed to transit overhead LAX without a briefing. Nor talking to anyone. Funny how I managed to land at Las Vegas North without a briefing.

The next time I'm told by one of these PPR stasi 'be aware we are in a TMZ, under a CTA (WTF?) or I must call RAF X first (RAF X being 5 miles away) then I'm going all in with sarcastic comments.

Let's start a trend to make these people feel uncomfortable with their stupid pointless requirements.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Red wrote:I think you know as well as I do that most farm strips don't have someone on ground radio

I did a quick check and prior to this post ^^^^ and there were at least ten references to the fact that phone PPR for farm strips would be necessary/advisable/wise.

It seems there are some people for whom printed information just doesn't sink in.

Rob P
By pullup
Rob P wrote:
Red wrote:
It seems there are some people for whom printed information just doesn't sink in.

Rob P

It seems there are also some people for whom printed information and a verbal briefing just doesn’t sink in!
Rob P liked this
By GrahamB
TopCat wrote:Image

So that’s what you look like TC. I always had you down as a grumpy middle-aged bloke.
AlanC liked this
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:
TopCat wrote:Image

So that’s what you look like TC. I always had you down as a grumpy middle-aged bloke.

Well if you're going to be like that, I'm definitely not going out with you now. In fairness, your Tinder picture was a bit misleading too.
GrahamB, AlanC liked this