Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dman
Just about to do my solo nav.
What exactly should i be asking for when I call up for PPr?
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nothing really, they will give it to you over the radio, if they have one.

If they don't have one, check the flight guides for how they want you to join, failing that standard overhead join flying on the QNH.

You're just asking if you can arrive. If they say no, go elsewhere..

If they want anything from you they'll ask.

G-JWTP
Dman liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
I generally ask them if they're open for arrivals. You could maybe add that you're a student pilot. You could also add, "It's my first time there, anything I need to know?" Also if the weather is a bit marginal you could ask what they would estimate the cloudbase and visibility to be. When I phone up I tend to ask, "Do you want my details or should I just call on the radio?"
johnm, RisePilot, Dodo liked this
By GrahamB
The blight of PPR is gradually infecting more and more UK airfields, so it's something we have to live with.

Firstly, acertain from a flight guide, the AIP, or a website how they prefer to grant PPR - by radio on the way in, by telephone, email or a webform.

Then normally it's just call sign, type, where you are coming from, ETA, and POB. They may also want to know how long you are staying, whether you need fuel and any other particular requirements. Telling them you are a stude on a solo nav may also be helpful.

It's an opportunity to ask them about any useful info you should know - for example, if there is anything special going on which may make them very busy, or noise abatement procedures that you need to follow.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Dman
Thanks folks
Kind of what i was thinking anyway
For me it`s a bit like making that 1st radio call, all a bit daunting. but now just second nature
By akg1486
I don't think that PPR is a "blight" most of the time. It's usually to make sure that I as a visitor know about the traffic pattern and noise restrictions.

PPR or not, it's never not a good idea to call in advance when visiting grass strips: is the grass cut? Is it wet? If I've never been to the place I ask about things such as landmarks, downdrafts, etc.
Talkdownman, PA28, JAFO and 2 others liked this
By GrahamB
akg1486 wrote:I don't think that PPR is a "blight" most of the time. It's usually to make sure that I as a visitor know about the traffic pattern and noise restrictions.

I often do call ahead, as you say, but it’s the mandatory requirement that irks.

I’d like to know what it is about the UK that the rest of Europe, and the USA, don’t seem to suffer from.
Flying_john, RisePilot, Rob P and 1 others liked this
By James Chan
What exactly should i be asking for when I call up for PPr?

“Hello. Can I land here today?” on the telephone or “Request landing (with information ATIS letter)” over the radio.

A prior telephone call is absolutely required on private farm strips which is similar to wanting to park on someone’s front drive.

For larger aerodromes normally open to the public to use, many will usually accept permission to land with a call over the radio. These could be viewed like a car park or a motorway service station. Don’t forget to read the plates and any NOTAMs!
Last edited by James Chan on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talkdownman, Nick liked this
By Human Factor
The irony being of course that to find out if they will grant PPR over the radio, you probably need to phone them.
rf3flyer liked this
By PeteSpencer
Hopefully you'll have full tanks but I always ask an airfield when I (always) ring for PPR whether they've got any Avgas and also if there are any quirks of the airfield.

Just as when people ring for PPR at our strip I ask them to join overhead and self announce on Safetycom so the aeromodellers who fly from the strip (and have a spotter listening out on safetycom) can get their models down and also warn incoming pilots of severe windshear from adjacent trees when the wind is from a certain direction..... :wink:

Good luck: Have you/are you going to do the proposed solonav route with your instructor first?
akg1486 liked this
By PA28
They will want to know your a/c type, Registration, point of departure and ETA. You want to check the weather, runway in use and how they would like you to join.
By Charles Hunt
I like to ask for the runway and circuit direction currently in use and also what join to expect. Of course it can change, but I find it easier to have a mental image in my head.

eg RW 27 LH circuit I'll enter the ATZ from the west, join downwind, turn left, left again, final, bounce along runway.
townleyc liked this
By PeteSpencer
Charles Hunt wrote:I like to ask for the runway and circuit direction currently in use and also what join to expect. Of course it can change, but I find it easier to have a mental image in my head.

eg RW 27 LH circuit I'll enter the ATZ from the west, join downwind, turn left, left again, final, bounce along runway.

Agree forwarned is forearmed but I figure joining instructions are more likely to be correct/current when I make my first call when inbound with ten miles to run .