Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ibra
Jeez, is this another 50 shades of air traffic services for uncontrolled VFR :lol: ?

I need to add this “A/G alerting service AGAS” to my crib-sheet of FIS (DS, PS, TS, TIS, BS, GCS, AS) and ATC (RCS, PCS, ACS, AS), we already add the ATZCS to AFIS & AG with Rule11 or 12 :lol:
Rob P, JodelDavo liked this
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JodelDavo wrote:
Cub, the ICAO code is given out by ICAO when an Aerodrome is licensed. AFTN or AFPEX status isn’t relevant as far as I remember when I were working for the feds. There are also several private aerodromes that are not licensed, never have been but have ICAO Designators. Maypole for example. Go figure that one out! Same with company call signs.

I think you are incorrect. Lots of non aerodromes have an ICAO designator. The only reason ICAO are interested in the allocation of a code is to enable AFTN traffic relevant too that location. The fact is that in the U.K., like so many other things, we have bastardised the internationally accepted intent and then made it expensive and difficult to discharge our obligations, hence we notify in our AIP some locations with a code but not connected to the AFTN. What possible use is that?