Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Fellsteruk
Was gonna visit Carlisle this weekend but noticed it’s closed till the 20th so planning a bimble to Kirkbride.

What facilities do they have will I be able to grab a drink before I head back

Also I read there is a road going across the runway which cars don’t always stop for planes, how busy is the road ?
By AlanC
It's an occasional stop for me on the way north/south, usually for fuel (VATless, somehow). Never noticed a road across the runway, just 1000+m reasonably good condition. Slight lack of facilities, although there's a hotel that backs onto the airfield, not right next to the fuel/parking but a shortish walk. Dibbed in therefor fuel with a student a while back (pre CV-19!!) and the hotel were amazingly helpful with rustling up something from what was left over since we were outside their normal food hours.
By DavidC
I recall that in the office where you pay your landing fee you could make a cuppa and there was a vending machine for snacks. No cafe or cooked food onsite.

Very useful refuelling stop on the border. PPR required which is easily arranged. Expect a small but friendly reception
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
They are trialling a burger van on Saturdays 11am to 3pm at the moment.

It's been a while since I was there. Last time you made your own cup of tea in the onsite caravan (pre Covid).
By Iceman
It’s as others have said, the last ‘cheap fuel’ stop before entering the traditionally eye-watering fuel prices in Scotland. Oban has recently balked the trend, however, with a very reasonable fuel rate. Not a lot else there. It will be good to see Carlisle operational again.

Iceman 8)
By Charley Farley
Kirkbride is a lovely airfield with some great views.
An easy hop away from the Lake District.
A good runway - 1230 x 46m in good condition.
The road crossing is at the eastern end. Only seen the occasional farm vehicle crossing and you can see them coming well before starting your take off roll.
Reasonable landing fees (£10 for a single, less for microlights).
Make your own tea and coffee in the office building at the base of the tower, toilets and vending machine available.
Friendly residents and visitors.
One of our favourite airfields.
mick w, matthew_w100 liked this
By Forfoxake
Iceman wrote:It’s as others have said, the last ‘cheap fuel’ stop before entering the traditionally eye-watering fuel prices in Scotland. Oban has recently balked the trend, however, with a very reasonable fuel rate. Not a lot else there. It will be good to see Carlisle operational again.

Iceman 8)

UL 91 at Fife (Glenrothes) still £1.53 per litre.
Iceman liked this
By Shoestring Flyer
tomtytom wrote:you can even taxi (taxy?) into the white heather hotel car park and go for a cracking sunday lunch!

Its take your own sandwiches the rest of the week though!