Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By carlmeek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On the face of it, it seems we can return from France despite it being on the Amber list - as long as we covid test 3 days before returning, and then another once returned.

Does anyone know how this affects private flying - specifically arrivals into grass airstrips.

And ... what if it's just a day trip? Can't really test 3 days before.

Le Touquet beckons!!
By Ibra
If you are 2*vax, you don’t need a valid reason for France or have to quarantine, there is the pre-departure test (pcr<72h, AntiGen<48h) but no one asks for it by air/GA or car/Eurotunnel but some got refused to board RyanAir flights or Eurostar trains without one (if one is not vaccinated, one need a valid reason to go to France and more tests/paperwork)

From July19, it will be easy to come back to UK as quarantine will be lifted but one still need to fill pax locator form and fill it with tests references, landing at Southend was not an issue but no idea about grass strips arrivals, why anything would have changed? I am planning to fly back to UK early August and I will land on a private strip, we may have more details by then…

No idea about one day trips, I am waiting for someone else to post the first L2K lunch pirep :lol:

https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rule ... and-the-UK
Last edited by Ibra on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
By welkyboy
I’m sure you have to prove to the French that you have had within 72 hours of arrival, a negative PCR test also there is a legal type form to complete for the French before arrival.
By skydriller
Dont want to be a wet blanket, but the same rules of " valid reason to travel" still required to go to france as the UK is considered a "special case". Unsurprisingly the UK has decided that France is a "special case" too, as someone linked above... :roll:

(So much for Covid Passports, eh...)
By GAFlyer4Fun
Surely have to abide by the UK and French rules applicable for the dates of the outbound/inbound flights.

It is a dynamic situation. The rules can change between now and the dates of outbound/return flights as people have discovered with airline flights.
By Adrian
Ibra wrote:there is the pre-departure test (pcr<72h, AntiGen<48h) but no one asks for it by air/GA or car/Eurotunnel

They very much do ask for it on Eurotunnel. You have to upload your test certificate to their website before travelling. If there is no QR cold on it, you have to wait for a human operator to verify it. If there is a QR code it will be verified immediately. If you don’t do it, you won’t be able to board.

As for tonight’s complete chaos, the government blame it on the prevalence of the Beta variant in France (formerly South African variant) - which is very low and falling. However, there is a high rate in the French Indian Ocean territories (Réunion and Mayotte) and in French Guiana. Their statistics are included in the overall data for France, so there’s a possibility that the continuing restrictions on travel from France are just a monumental cockup. Not that this bunch of incompetents would ever be able to admit they’d screwed up, of course.
Flyin'Dutch', Ibra liked this
By skydriller
Ibra wrote:If you are 2*vax, you don’t need a valid reason for France or have to quarantine, there is the pre-departure test (pcr<72h, AntiGen<48h) but no one asks for it by air/GA or car/Eurotunnel

To be clearer than my previous post : You do need a reason to be travelling to france and you wont be allowed on a flight if you dont have either a test ot vax cert. There is currently confusion about some of the UK jabs with certain batch numbers too, as the EU didnt approve doses imported from india, people that had those jabs are not accepted... And I believe the UK doesnt accept vaxxed folk jabbed outside the UK... You couldnt make it up :roll:

This stuff is constantly changing though.

Regards, SD...
Ibra liked this
By Sooty25
johnm wrote:It’s really not worth the effort :roll:

I do tend to agree, @carlmeek surely there must be somewhere in the UK worth visiting/revisiting?
By Morten
Just to add to this - if you are an EU/EEA citizen you can (even if you live in the UK) in most cases have your country of citizenship recognise your vaccinations and be issued with the EU/EEA vaccination certificate from that country. With that certificate, you can travel within the EU/EEA subject to the rules of the EU/EEA. Which, AFAIU, in practice means that you could go to France without testing/isolation on the way out. The way back is decided by the UK and is another matter, of course.

Works for me (albeit going to Norway, not France).
Flyin'Dutch' liked this