Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cookie wrote: The website you have quoted is incorrect regarding revalidation by experience.
ATB Cookie

Incorrect? I'll say....Have you read on a bit, same page, about Lapl(a)?
By CloudHound
If anyone's interested in time travel there's a meeting going to be held last Thursday :roll: :lol:

I kinda glaze over with these "can someone explain.." questions but give thanks at the same time for the wise counsel found here.

I can but hope the CAA are planning to simplify the issue as I'm led to believe they have been told.
AlanC liked this
By Irv Lee
Lapl(a)-wise, whilst it is incorrect to do so, i get the feeling most align on the same self made-up rule ... which is look at most recent hour with instructor, add 2 to the year and fly 11+ hours by that future date without any reference to anything historic.
Standard Lapl(a) conversation:
" I just have 2 hours to do by Sept 25th"
"Why?"
"That is exactly two years since my last instructor flight and i have only done 9 hours since, got to have 11 by then"
T67M liked this
By Irv Lee
@flybymike knowing how the current sep rules came about, if there is any mention of "12" anywhere, we'll know it is the usual suspects with a meeting room booking deadline
flybymike liked this
By Irv Lee
Bathman wrote:How about a having a "flight review"

I'm lead to believe it works elsewhere

Sounds tempting, but in its simplest form, it sort of assumes all UK instructors are unanimous in wanting anything "official" to work. Some will admit now they are not interested in checking if the guy is flying legally, their philosophy being an hour dual in the log book is what they guy is paying for, that is what the regulation wants, that is exactly what he/she will get, no more, no less.
Duo802 liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
flybymike wrote:Bring back 5 hours in 13 months.

Might cause even more hassle for many PPLs if most of that time is in a pandemic lockdown.
Less of a problem for those locked down in the first year of their two year cycle.
Irv Lee liked this
By kanga
flybymike wrote:Bring back 5 hours in 13 months.

.. with thin cardboard or paper inserts, secured with a bootlace inside stiff cardboard covers, marked 'Board of Trade', optionally (with a photo and Petty France embossing stamp) usable as a Passport .. :wink:
PaulSS liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
flybymike wrote:Might be no problem if lockdowns discontinued. :wink:

... that's the covid19 lockdown. :wink:
It is not impossible for there to be other non-covid epidemics/pandemics.

Surely GA has learned not to leave licence/rating reval to the last minute for a less stressful experience.

:wink:
By GAFlyer4Fun
oldbiggincfi, you seem to have the wrong end of the stick.

I am referring to the totally legal way of doing real flying, correctly logged, and doing the biennial training flight(s) with an instructor and signed by that instructor.
Why wait to the last month of the biennial cycle to satisfy all the requirements, risking being unable to do it all either due to unexpected health issue or AME unavailability or aircraft serviceability or aircraft unavailability (heavily booked) or airfield closure due to waterlogging etc, or unavailability of a FE or FI with FCL945 to do the reval paperwork, or the ultimate of unpredictable events, a pandemic!