Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It helps pay for the administrative costs of the volunteer witness support services. The volunteers walk prosecution witnesses on pretrial visits to courtrooms through the physical layout of the courtrooms, court buildings and procedures (without discussing their evidence, obviously), and sit with them in the prosecution witnesses' room until they are called.

Presumably the same facility is afforded to defence witnesses?
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Presumably - volunteers also provide support to witnesses and interested parties at inquests. At least, a very nice lady who was a volunteer sat with a friend and I when we attended another friend's unexplained death inquest, explaining what would happen, etcetera. (The inquest was just the Coroner, Pete and I, not at all what I had ecpected with various officials present and perhaps police and medical witnesses; their evidence was written - so the whole thing was almost more like a chat...)
flybymike wrote:
It helps pay for the administrative costs of the volunteer witness support services. The volunteers walk prosecution witnesses on pretrial visits to courtrooms through the physical layout of the courtrooms, court buildings and procedures ..

Presumably the same facility is afforded to defence witnesses?

Almost certainly. However, my personal knowledge is only from volunteers in the local Magistrates' Courts. There, it is prosecution witnesses who tend to be the vulnerable ones, eg alleged victims of domestic abuse or staff of small retail outlets who allege violence