Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Concorde used reheat to provide extra thrust to accelerate through the sound barrier, after which reheat was switched off for the cruise.
kanga liked this
By terrybarr
There's a book by a guy called Alex Strojnik called Low Horsepower Laminar Aircraft Design which shows just how little horsepower you can get away with. Fantastically interesting, the guy was a born teacher. I think that his books might still be available from his widow.
By TopCat
Bill McCarthy wrote:For speed on minimal power, I’ve always fancied the Quickie Q1 - 120 knots on the 18hp Onan donk.

Is that a Wankel rotary engine?
By Bill McCarthy
No, it’s an air cooled engine from an ice-cream making machine that’s carried on ice - cream vans I believe.
By cockney steve
Unless my eyes are worse than I thought........ First page of the BMAA website is.........
Charlie Splatt (unless it's a Doppelganger and Auntie Lia isn't really raking in the royalties :lol:
By leiafee
Heh, I hadn’t even spotted the BMAA pic despite spending time on there during the purchase checking paperwork.

With weather and work and stuff today was the first flight.

The climb rather broke my brain on the first takeoff. I must have seen every corner of the compass while trying to get the rudder right and with nothing but blue sky before my eyes. Felt like the horizon was somewhere down around my knees :lol:

I’d flown a friend’s Skyranger a handful of times but had somehow forgotten that detail. Thought I was going to end up colliding with the pigging ISS.

:D

Once that was under control, general handling and slow speeds and landing was a joy though.

Very very happy with our choice.
By kanga
leiafee wrote:.. today was the first flight.

The climb rather broke my brain on the first takeoff. .. nothing but blue sky before my eyes. Felt like the horizon was somewhere down around my knees.. Thought I was going to end up colliding with the pigging ISS.

Very very happy with our choice.

were you solo ? ISTR similar sensations on first solo in a micro Eurostar: I had to shove nose down quickly in order not to exceed flap limiting speed.

Anyway, sounds good :thumright: . Hope it won't stop you visiting Staverton even if you no longer need to drop in for fuel :)
By leiafee
kanga wrote:were you solo ?

Yes and half fuel.

Like the X’Air it has a minimum as well as a maximum seat weight and I can see why!

Anyway, sounds good :thumright: . Hope it won't stop you visiting Staverton even if you no longer need to drop in for fuel :)

It’s always a good staging post!
kanga liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
kanga wrote:I had to shove nose down quickly in order not to exceed flap limiting speed.

Um, wouldn't you have to lift the nose up for that?
terrybarr liked this