Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Sooty25
tomshep wrote:Who has given a seat on his spacecraft to Wally Funk who deserved it even more than me!
Safe Journeys to them all.

You could say we've paid for it out of all the tax his company has avoided over the years.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheKentishFledgling wrote:I was surprised there was no footage from inside the capsule, especially when they were sitting on the launch pad pre-launch?

It will be released after the event: They would hardly want the incineration of the crew to be broadcast round the world if it had gone tits up, and a transmission 'delay' would mean it wasn't 'live'.

Even so I guess someone was sitting with their thumb over the 'mute' button in case the parachute didn't open..... :wink:
By RisePilot
Sooty25 wrote:
tomshep wrote:Who has given a seat on his spacecraft to Wally Funk who deserved it even more than me!
Safe Journeys to them all.

You could say we've paid for it out of all the tax his company has avoided over the years.

Nothing wrong with tax avoidance; everyone should conduct their affairs to minimise their tax liabilities. Inference that this is tax evasion (which is illegal) is misleading.
TheKentishFledgling, Rob L, tr7v8 and 4 others liked this
By Sooty25
@RisePilot you don't need to underline it, that's like shouting at someone who you think doesn't understand, I do know the difference, I'm also aware of the consequences.
But I guess if we are all happy to manage with not quite enough ambulances, while Jeff can afford to play spaceman, that's fine. Just voicing my opinion.
By Paul_Sengupta
How are Amazon avoiding tax?

As far as I can tell, there are two things here in the UK that the press made a fuss about. 1) The fact that they had a huge turnover but didn't pay much tax. That is because tax is on profits, and when the fuss was made, Amazon wasn't making a huge profit, they were establishing themselves in the market, so selling at not much over cost but selling lots. Pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap. 2) They didn't pay tax in the UK. That's because Amazon Europe were based in Luxemburg, and the EU rules say you could trade freely within Europe without extra tax burdens. I'm guessing that's changed now with Brexit.

I'm always a bit perplexed at some people who are both staunchly pro-EU and also complain bitterly that companies like Amazon and Google, based in Luxemburg and Ireland, can (or rather could) trade in the UK without paying UK taxes.
Dave W, RisePilot, Hooligan liked this
By riverrock
@Sooty25 then you need to convince the politicians to tax the mega rich and large multi-nationals more. Not Jeff's fault!

Amazon of course have always paid UK tax such as VAT, stamp duty, national insurance etc.
Most of their corporation tax is offset by investment, as thats how the system is designed.
I suspect most UK profits from their UK businesses are offset by a licence "fee" to the central holding company for using the Amazon brand and technology in the UK, so they can declare that money in a different jurisdiction (at least - that's what other companies used to do). Hard for anyone to challenge the amount of that "fee".

I believe the Digital Services Tax appeared in 2020 which would apply to Amazon, significantly increasing the amount they need to pay?
By PeteSpencer
I found the precise recovery of the launch rocket more impressive than an uncontrolled parachute plonk into a massive desert . :wink:
By RisePilot
PeteSpencer wrote:I found the precise recovery of the launch rocket more impressive than an uncontrolled parachute plonk into a massive desert . :wink:

I agree. The flat attitude of the capsule on re-entry prior to releasing drogues was also quite impressive.