Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Jasonnt
Hi All,

just got back from a pop-in to Sandown on the Isle of Wight (Fantastic airfield and the Pizza is mega) and had a problem with the Sky Echo.

As we were approaching the Airfield the SkyEcho 2 appeared to just turn itself off. We lost GPS and with some fumbling with the on button of the SkyEcho we got it back. Fortunately we wern't near any taxing airspace, and approach etc were all as per usual, but wondering if anyone else has had this kind of failure? It looked like the Echo basically just turned itself off (SkyDemon the Ipad lost its GPS fix).

I upgraded to the SkyEcho 2 as an extra bit of kit for some GPS and conspicuity, however with this outage I may go back to my pocket garmin which never let me down.

Any one else seen this behaviour before or have any solutions?

Cheers

J
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Did the battery run out?

I had exactly the OP's symptoms the other week, and the cause was exactly this - so I took it home and charged it. Its excellent battery life had fooled me into forgetting that long isn't the same as everlasting.

It didn't work on my last flight either, but that was because I'd left it at home after charging it.
By Cessna571
This is exactly why I have a phone with inbuilt GPS and I upgraded the iPad to have inbuilt GPS.

PilotAware and SE2 are great when they work as Traffic/EC devices, and they can both even supply the GPS to your phone or iPad.

But neither are navigational aids.

If you HAVE to use an SE2 or a PAW to use SkyDemon, you’re doing it wrong.

I carry an SE2, and use that into a phone.
If the SE2 goes flat, the phone / SD continues.

If the phone fails, I get the iPad out.

If that fails, I get the map out!

SE2 or PAW shouldn’t be needed for you to run your nav device.
By Jasonnt
It had a full battery as when the power button was pressed it all came back on.

The total flight time was about 40mins.

Concerning the "if you have to rely on this for GPS comment", no I don't rely on it, and don't HAVE to. Like anyone I have backups, ( a back up on my Phone as well as a garmin and the usual manual paper method), I'm asking if anyone else has seen the symptoms?

Anyway, other than dead batteries (it defintately not this) anyone else experienced these symptoms?
By TopCat
Cessna571 wrote:SE2 or PAW shouldn’t be needed for you to run your nav device.

Agreed, but it would be nice to have SD switch to local device GPS if it loses the SE2.

Or at least present a warning and let you switch without having to stop and restart navigating.
mick w liked this
By TopCat
Jasonnt wrote:Anyway, other than dead batteries (it defintately not this) anyone else experienced these symptoms?

Did it definitely switch off? Or did SD just lose the GPS?

Have you set a password for its WiFi network?

I could get only an intermittent connection from the tablet to the SE2 until I removed the password.
By Jasonnt
Quick update,

I've just noticed there is a firmware update for the Echo covering Wifi connectivity on the site. Going to update it to that and see if this solves the issue (also removed password, thanks @TopCat ).

Will feedback if the same problem occurs again.
By PeteSpencer
Our group-owned SE2 had flat battery (and reverted to default setting, losing all info) due to same reason, and will not charge from a/c and provide GPS at the same time (GPS keeps switching on and off)
.Needs home/mains charge

They are now establishing a 'charging' station with timer in hangar.

I have my own SE2 (wasn't going to join group/buy a SE2 then decided at last minute, following CAA grant) and charge it up after every flight.
By Cessna571
TopCat wrote:

Agreed, but it would be nice to have SD switch to local device GPS if it loses the SE2.

Or at least present a warning and let you switch without having to stop and restart navigating.

It does!

SkyDemon switches to local GPS if it loses PAW or SE2 GPS.

I think the OP was using an iPad without GPS.

Hence my comment that SE2 and PAW should really be used to add traffic. Not as primary to your Nav solution.
By mick w
Cessna571 wrote:
TopCat wrote:

It does!

I think the OP was using an iPad without GPS.

Hence my comment that SE2 and PAW should really be used to add traffic. Not as primary to your Nav solution.

Are you sure it switches automatically :?:
By TopCat
Cessna571 wrote:
TopCat wrote:

It does!

Are you sure?

I have an Android tablet with GPS that I've been using for a while. Since getting the SE2, I've been selecting the SE2's GPS when I tap 'Go Flying'.

When my SE2 ran out of battery recently, all I got on SD was a warning, saying something that it hadn't updated for x minutes/seconds, counting up.

I was almost back at base by then so I didn't bother fiddling about with it.