Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
mick w wrote:Are you sure it switches automatically :?:

From the version history

4 May 2021

•Fall back to Location Services on connection failure of SkyEcho 2, Flarm or PilotAware traffic receivers (iOS, Android)

When SkyDemon detects the connection to your device has failed you can choose to temporarily revert to Location Services, so you can keep navigating and logging your flight. When SkyDemon detects your traffic receiver is working again it will automatically switch back.
By TopCat
FlightDek wrote:From the version history

4 May 2021

•Fall back to Location Services on connection failure of SkyEcho 2, Flarm or PilotAware traffic receivers (iOS, Android)

When SkyDemon detects the connection to your device has failed you can choose to temporarily revert to Location Services, so you can keep navigating and logging your flight. When SkyDemon detects your traffic receiver is working again it will automatically switch back.

Is this an option in the SD setup somewhere, or an option you're presented with when SD loses SE2?
By mick w
FlightDek wrote:

From the version history

4 May 2021

But does it switch to Location Services automatically :?
By Cessna571
mick w wrote:
FlightDek wrote:

From the version history

4 May 2021

But does it switch to Location Services automatically :?

Good point.

It might ask you to confirm the switch, rather than do it automatically?

I don’t know, I’ve not had it lose SE2 yet tbh.

This still doesn’t help the OP if he was using a device without it’s own GPS.

If either PAW or SE2 fail, he loses his nav display. So there’s no point in saying “he should have bought a PilotAware”. :roll:
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
You have to activate it by pressing a button, when SkyDemon tells you it’s lost contact with your device. That’s a deliberate decision on our part because we want you to stay in control and know what’s going on.
Ian Melville, Flyin'Dutch', Rob P and 6 others liked this
By johnm
I have a tablet with built in GPS because it's the iPad I use all the time for everything I need in the way of apps. So when SE2 loses the plot, which it does occasionally, I can wait for it to come back which it usually does after a few seconds or switch to the internal GPS.

Despite trying 3 locations now all on the starboard side I'm still seeing very little traffic, I'm going to try a couple more places and if that doesn't work it'll become available I think.
I've had the 'no GPS for XX seconds' when using SE2 with Skydemon on a Galaxy 8 on a couple of occasions. SE2 had a pretty full battery so it wasn't a lack of juice, nor a particularly hot day. The SE2 have a good view of the sky (Jodel).

I have no idea what the problem was but each time I turned SE2 off and on again and it eventually reconnected.
mick w liked this
By Dave W
@Kemble Pitts, I have previously had that issue with SE2 dropping the Wifi connection to the tablet. It was evidently a known issue as recent-ish firmware updates for the SE2 have addressed that according to the version notes.

It is very much better now, in that I can't remember the last time I had a dropout.

Latest SE2 Wifi firmware is v2.30 released on 30 December 2020, so if you haven't upgraded since then I'd certainly recommend it.
Dave W wrote:@Kemble Pitts, I have previously had that issue with SE2 dropping the Wifi connection to the tablet. It was evidently a known issue as recent-ish firmware updates for the SE2 have addressed that according to the version notes.

It is very much better now, in that I can't remember the last time I had a dropout.

Latest SE2 Wifi firmware is v2.30 released on 30 December 2020, so if you haven't upgraded since then I'd certainly recommend it.

Thanks @Dave W, I'll check the software/firmware status. Mind you, I only bought the thing in February 2021, but it could have come with an earlier fill.
Dave W liked this
By jegwright
Sorry to resurrect and old thread. Did you ever get a solution to this? It happens with my sky echo and appears to be getting worse. Today it switched off twice in a 40 minute flight (and, yes it was fully charged). Most annoying.
By rjc101
jegwright wrote:Sorry to resurrect and old thread. Did you ever get a solution to this? It happens with my sky echo and appears to be getting worse. Today it switched off twice in a 40 minute flight (and, yes it was fully charged). Most annoying.

Anything plugged into the USB port on the SE?