Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
With phones and tablets and Sky Demon, is there much of a market for older GPS units?
I looked at an in it’s box, never been used, plastic on the screen, as new, but a few years old Garmin 695.
Does this still have value?
By Peter Gristwood
I've got a large box of my old GPS equipment from a Garmin 90 to a Skymap IIIC. In the depths of winter I'll be creating a display stand and they will form part of my 'Black Museum' together with old instruments and Tx.

Just need a bigger house. Come on EuroMillions :lol: :lol:
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By RisePilot
Yes, I sold an old Garmin 296 for £250 in the past two years. My unit is still happily working in a helicopter in Botswana.

Sell it internationally; the UK are renowned to be "penny pinchers"
By GrahamB
RisePilot wrote:Yes, I sold an old Garmin 296 for £250 in the past two years. My unit is still happily working in a helicopter in Botswana.

Coincidence - last summer I sold mine for a similar sum to a heli operator in SA!
By johnm
Pilot H wrote:Obsolete GPS Equipment?

As of today you can add LPV capable WAAS navigators to the list...

Only in mainland UK and NI, I can still use the LPV in the Channel Islands and in due course Eire and mainland Europe
MichaelP wrote:With phones and tablets and Sky Demon, is there much of a market for older GPS units?
I looked at an in it’s box, never been used, plastic on the screen, as new, but a few years old Garmin 695.
Does this still have value?

Yes of course it has value. It probably will be a lot more reliable than any App on a Tablet or phone! You can still get Nav database updates from Garmin.
The only thing it probably won't do is be able to use as a traffic display but personally I think that is no loss because IMHO traffic needs to be displayed on a dedicated display and not a Nav App.
By Rob P
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Yes of course it has value. It probably will be a lot more reliable than any App on a Tablet or phone!

As my tablet app combination has performed 100% it is difficult to imagine how that reliability could be bettered.

Shoestring Flyer wrote: IMHO traffic needs to be displayed on a dedicated display and not a Nav App.

IMHO Traffic information should be aural not visual

Rob P
JAFO liked this
By RisePilot
Rob P wrote:As my tablet app combination has performed 100% it is difficult to imagine how that reliability could be bettered.

So I'm guessing that you've never used your tablet app combination in bright direct sunlight, on a hot day on full screen brightness while connected to a charger at the same time.
By IainD
RisePilot wrote:
Rob P wrote:As my tablet app combination has performed 100% it is difficult to imagine how that reliability could be bettered.

So I'm guessing that you've never used your tablet app combination in bright direct sunlight, on a hot day on full screen brightness while connected to a charger at the same time.

I've used several Android phones in bright sunlight and on a hot day no problems..100% reliability..however my iphone is different matter!
JAFO, Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Joe Dell wrote:https://www.gps.co.uk/product/skymap-iiic-recon-2/

We have one of those, panel-mounted, but fitted in front of the passenger and not really bright enough to read under the bubble canopy. Database will be at least five years out of date, probably more. That really is our last resort.

Rob P