Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:When our group aircraft came within £100 of being written off in a hangar accident last year

:shock:

That's quite a hangar accident. What on earth happened?
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rdfb
T67M wrote:If they aren't an owner, it isn't a group, it's aircraft hire and they are a renter.

This is an argument about the meaning of words, which is usually pointless to get into. I hope the following will help you see my perspective.

I use the word "group" to refer to the people who fly the aircraft I fly, which I rent from the owner. I have no equity, and therefore no share. However there are a limited number of renting pilots, all named on the insurance, and we all pay a monthly amount whether we fly or not (as well as a wet rate) and have paid a deposit to cover any default. I often need a word to refer to my arrangement, and I use "group", because the group of us still cooperate much closer than we would were we renting without a minimum commitment. Example of use: "my group isn't flying at the moment because our aircraft is in for its annual". In the general sense, there's a group of us who cooperate, so therefore we are a "group". I don't use the words "non-equity share" because there's no share involved. There are other types of groups, including equity share groups. However I don't know of any other concise wording that covers our arrangement.

If you want to use "group" to exclusively mean "equity share group" you can do that, but you can't impose that definition upon everyone else, and it's not useful to tell others they're wrong if they use the word "group" in a different sense.
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
TopCat wrote:
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:When our group aircraft came within £100 of being written off in a hangar accident last year

Runaway tug vs 6 aircraft. Every corner of our aircraft except the front hit another aircraft - quite an achievement! A bad day at the office for the tug operator but worse for the airport's insurance underwriter.
By TopCat
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:
TopCat wrote:

Runaway tug vs 6 aircraft. Every corner of our aircraft except the front hit another aircraft - quite an achievement! A bad day at the office for the tug operator but worse for the airport's insurance underwriter.

OMG. I can only begin to imagine the tug guy's horror as that unfolded.

Poor bugger. And poor everyone else. Jeez. :(

When I was wondering what could possibly have caused something like that, the closest I got to it was someone taxying in or out of the hangar under power. I wasn't all that far off :shock: