Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
With Threat & Error Management all the rage thought it might be useful to have a thread with suggestions from experience.

Following an incident at our remote Farm Strip a couple of years ago (tree spoilt take-off*) I became more aware of the increased risks. An engine failure or other incident at low level is not going to allow time to set Transponder to 7700 or find/call nearest Airport or London Info.

We are close to Birmingham so I now set their FMC code/frequency before take-off. Two benefits - I can issue a Mayday if needed and know someone will hear it - and hopefully it reduces the startle factor at Birmingham ATC when we pop-up a couple of miles from their CTR :)

* Wing clipped tree and aircraft spun into next field. Pilot not injured but had uncomfortable 30+ mins until fire service arrived as his foot was trapped and fuel dripping onto engine. Fortunately two of us were working in the hanger at the time and had a foam extinguisher to hand.
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:Sounds like a good plan. Never heard of an FMC code (other than something to enter into a Flight Management Computer). Is it like / the same as a listening squawk?

FMC = Frequency Monitoring Code AKA Listening Squawk
For a remote farm strip with very little if any other traffic it's maybe a good idea. The sort of place with one or two based aircraft, I mean.
But if there's any chance of other circuit traffic then you really do need to use SafetyCom to announce your intentions and listen for anybody else.
In your own circumstances it may be quite possible to arrange some sort of Letter of Agreement with Birmingham for the use of all at the strip. Maybe that you’ll phone before taking off then check in on r/t after airborne, or report landing on r/t and confirm by phone safe on ground within a set timescale afterwards. If the after take off or after landing actions not completed within said set time, Birmingham will take necessary action.

If considered feasible or desirable by the strip users, maybe make the approach to Brum ATC.

Otherwise, like FD ,I’d suggest the ELT option as fitted to N registrations.
@Mike Tango 122.5 + ELT is an option and at the moment they'd probably be happy to have someone to talk to :D Although in our location that does not have same benefit as listening squawk for BHX ATC and additional radio traffic maybe not so welcome once CAT traffic gets back to pre-Covid levels.

@flyingorthopod - about 2nm from the Birmingham CTR. We are up on ridge so can talk to them from the ground. If we've had a zone transit the Controller often suggests we stay on frequency until after landing.
grahamgrg wrote: An engine failure or other incident at low level is not going to allow time to set Transponder to 7700 or find/call nearest Airport or London Info.

If you're that short on time, then I'd suggest that there's no time for a mayday call either if you're not already known to the controller. In that case I'm in favour of having an ELT or PLB ready to manually activate if needed. Or, failing that, have a responsible person outside the aircraft observing.