Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Stampe
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just heard that the Lydd Airport Cafe reopened today under new management.I understand hours will be 10 to 4 seven days a week initially with a limited food offering but the usual staples that us pilots are looking for! The incredibly popular Sunday roasts are not planned at present. Until it settles down it would be worth checking when getting PPR that the the cafe is open if it is important to you!
Regards Stampe Fly safe Fly considerate Fly compliant!
B1engineer, Dodo, 2Donkeys and 1 others liked this
By Full Metal Jackass
Stampe wrote:Just heard that the Lydd Airport Cafe reopened today under new management.I understand hours will be 10 to 4 seven days a week initially with a limited food offering but the usual staples that us pilots are looking for! The incredibly popular Sunday roasts are not planned at present. Until it settles down it would be worth checking when getting PPR that the the cafe is open if it is important to you!
Regards Stampe Fly safe Fly considerate Fly compliant!

Blast. The Sunday Brunch was the main reason for making the trip to Lydd, did it a number of times, including once when I forgot to fill out the GAR - only to be met by tow Border Force officials who demanded why I'd not sent the form..... today I'd be tempted to retort - what about the others you're bringing ashore from France....

Either way, was considered extremely decadent in Germany, when asked: what are you doing this weekend" to respond with "I'm going to head to UK for Brunch on Sunday".

I was actually hoping Lydd would be renamed to "London Lydd", then I could claim I was "just popping over to London for some Brunch".... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tr7v8 liked this
By Iceman
The café may be open but check NOTAMs and PPR for ATC who have been closing for periods throughout the day. Glad to hear that the café has reopened.

Iceman 8)
By Peter_G
ATC who have been closing for periods throughout the day

In fact they have been so erratic and inconsistent recently that it has been difficult to arrange practicing Procedures and, at times, to even land 'within opening hours'.
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
I managed a few instrument approaches at Lydd on two consecutive weekends recently, but with Redhill also on intermittent closures due to ATC staff shortages, managing the flights time-wise became a bit of a pain.

Iceman 8)
By G-JWTP
Iceman wrote:I managed a few instrument approaches at Lydd on two consecutive weekends recently, but with Redhill also on intermittent closures due to ATC staff shortages, managing the flights time-wise became a bit of a pain.

Iceman 8)

You may have better luck at Southend, they were excellent when I renewed my IMC a few weeks ago.

G-JWTP
Iceman liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
mr spog wrote:Let's hope that the new management have got their sights set higher than mediocre.

Amen!

Beautifully sited airfield, but consistently the most mediocre airfield catering in Britain for decades sadly.

G
JodelDavo liked this
By Stampe
From Lydd website
“OUR OPERATIONAL HOURS ARE 0830 – 1900 LOCAL, EXCEPT FOR THE FOLLOWING DAYS – 30TH JUNE, 3RD, 5TH, 9TH, 21ST, 23RD, 26TH, 27TH, 29TH, 30TH & 31ST JULY WHERE WE WILL CLOSE AT 1700 WITH TWO CLOSURES BETWEEN 11:00 – 12:00 & 14:00 – 15:00 LOCAL.

PPR IS REQUIRED – TO BOOK PLEASE CALL ATC ON +44 (0) 1797 320881”

As I understand it there is one controller short due long term illness.In the bureaucratic and rule based world of the U.K. ATC empire recruiting training and validating a new controller is an extremely slow process.For that as with the CRATCOH requirement for frequent controller rest breaks even at minor and relatively quiet ATC units we have our wonderful CAA to thank!
Regards Stampe
Fly safe Fly considerate Fly Compliant.
JodelDavo liked this
By ROG
Went there last week--working hours as above message.
Usual welcoming helpful staff.
The restaurant area was open -with some food on display in the freezer. Looked deserted with one lady serving.
We just had a cuppa and sat in the VIP lounge--the area by the windows.
Hope it improves and the usual ladies will be serving again.
Don"t forget to take your own marmalade--cos "we don"t do marmalade"--only raspberry or apricot on your toast.
tr7v8 liked this