Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Apologies - due to lack of traffic

No need to apologise - if the security threat is no longer sufficient enough to have to send anything more out there, then that might be a good thing! :thumleft:
Kemble Pitts wrote:Idle curiosity, what is based at RAF Wittering nowadays?

.. ISTR, a whole lot of general and special trucks which used to be at RAF Stafford :wink:

[with 5 Sqns of Tutors now filling the hangars, where are all the trucks now parked ? ISTR the MT Section park was quite small ..]
By James Chan
Idle curiosity, what is based at RAF Wittering nowadays?

You might be told one thing on here as it is a public forum, but for national security reasons it could be something completely different. And so only those who have the security clearances will really know.

Official webpage here: https://www.raf.mod.uk/our-organisation ... wittering/
Last edited by James Chan on Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kemble Pitts wrote:Idle curiosity, what is based at RAF Wittering nowadays?

RAF Wittering hosts the Support Force HQ (a 1* headed lodger unit) along with numerous Sqns/Sections of the A4 Force Elements plus the tutors of 22 Gp. Lots of trucks etc parking on the old harrier dispersals (sacrilege!) and a large number of other lodger units from all 3 services.
Kemble Pitts, Rob P liked this
Wittering was great today.

Just a couple of circuits, not exactly challenging for an aircraft that can operate happily off 600 metres.

I would have loved to do more but a previous lunch appointment meant I didn't have the time.

Thanks Wittering, that was fun.

The Harrier ski jump is there for the more adventurous.

Rob P
Dave W, Rob L, Ibra and 2 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:Wittering was great today.

Just a couple of circuits, not exactly challenging for an aircraft that can operate happily off 600 metres.

I would have loved to do more but a previous lunch appointment meant I didn't have the time.

Thanks Wittering, that was fun.

The Harrier ski jump is there for the more adventurous.

Rob P

How much was ‘small insurance indemnity charge’?
How much bureaucracy before you could go? ( ?eg Proof of MOD indemnity).etc

Wattisham was quite a few hurdles before we could get a coupla PARs and absolutely no touchdowns allowed .

May have all changed now of course :wink:
The insurance indemnity is in the realms of a tenner and we do need to know that you have either an MOD waiver or appropriate insurance but hopefully not too onerous in terms of bureaucracy . Assuming you are within our Crash Cat, no reason why you cant do touch and go or even stop if you wanted to change pilots. Can't offer you a tea/cake break I'm afraid but trying to make it as easy and friendly to visit us as we can!
Rob L, PeteSpencer, NickC and 1 others liked this
By James Chan
Thread drift: Can planes be under-insured? I don't recall there is such option for cars. Both can have policies missing but vehicles can be verified via the Motor Insurance Database. Is there not a similar one for planes?
By PeteSpencer
TheHorsesMouth wrote:The insurance indemnity is in the realms of a tenner and we do need to know that you have either an MOD waiver or appropriate insurance but hopefully not too onerous in terms of bureaucracy . Assuming you are within our Crash Cat, no reason why you cant do touch and go or even stop if you wanted to change pilots. Can't offer you a tea/cake break I'm afraid but trying to make it as easy and friendly to visit us as we can!

@TheHorsesMouth
TVM:

Presumably a scan of certificate of insurance detailing Ins/MOD cover would suffice? If so do you have an email address?

Plan forming...... :thumright:
No bureaucracy,

One brief phone call, "See you at 10:15 local"

Refreshingly simple. They were happy with me doing full stop then go. It's plenty long enough after all.

Tower (deservedly) picked me up on my RT, so not just practice for them but a refresher for me after years of operating in an A/G or less environment

Rob P
PeteSpencer, Rob L, Highland Park and 3 others liked this