Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JodelDavo
Wrong coordinates and lots of people not checking them before publishing...

Or using W instead of E?. We've all been there :lol:
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ring the Newmarket phone number on the NOTAM, which is probably RAF Mildenhall ParaOps.
By kanga
JodelDavo wrote:..

Or using W instead of E?. We've all been there :lol:

When I got my first GPS, an 'end of line' hiker's (not pilot's) model much discounted at the HM stand at a Rally :) , I had to insert all my own WPs manually from printed material (airfield guides, AIP, RAF AIDU En Route Supplements, aeronautical topo charts, even OS maps, ..) by hand. I then always did a 'sense check' for the generated tracks and distances on the route values displayed, by comparing them with the wax crayon line drawn on my own chart ..

It was thus that I found that a particular RAF (then active) airfield near but not on the 0 Meridian had E instead of W (or possibly the other way round) printed in the ERS, and it had been so for all the older Editions which I could find. I did tell AIDU (no one else had, apparently :? ), and it was corrected in future Editions.
By Dave W
kanga wrote:...I had to insert all my own WPs manually from printed material (airfield guides, AIP, RAF AIDU En Route Supplements, aeronautical topo charts, even OS maps, ..) by hand.

I have only just thrown away* the "UK GPS Companion", from Pooley's I think.

It's a booklet simply containing lat/longs for most UK airfields, towns, navaids, VRPs etc. It was a right rivetin' read, as you can imagine. :D

*wife claims I am a hoarder; she does talk nonsense at times. ;)
By kanga
Dave W wrote:..
I have only just thrown away* the "UK GPS Companion", from Pooley's I think.

It's a booklet simply containing lat/longs for most UK airfields, towns, navaids, VRPs etc. ..

*wife claims I am a hoarder; she does talk nonsense at times. ;)

Did you ever find any errors in it ? :)

[I still have several editions of Pooley's, an old Bottlang for UK/Ireland, RAF and RAAF ERSs covering most of world, RAF Terminal Charts flipbound for UK and Europe, old (ringbinder) and newer (bound, small) Lockyears, 1/2 and 1/4 mil topos, and some US and Canadian Sectionals .. and I hung up my headset ~4 years ago .. and I have occasion to look at some of them reasonably often :oops: ]
Dave W liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Dave W wrote:I have only just thrown away* the "UK GPS Companion", from Pooley's I think.

I got given one of these in a Pooleys Air Day at Compton Abbas once. Never actually used it in anger!
By PeteSpencer
Dave W wrote:Many errors! :-D

It was useful though, with a double-check on the chart, when I was travelling around using this piece of sci-fi tech.

I had one of those, 'My First GPS' which worked a treat.

When we moved house 5 years ago I found it at the back of a cupboard where it had lain for nearly 20 years.

So I thought I'd fire it up to see if it still worked.

Only to find that the 20 year old Duracells had leaked and dissolved its innards :(