Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It seems like a bloody useless statistic to me, either way.

If 57% of fatals is within that range, that's still 43% outside it.

Hardly small enough to be like, "oh, I've got more than 350 hours, I'll be fine."
By Peter Gristwood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TopCat wrote:It seems like a bloody useless statistic to me, either way.

If 57% of fatals is within that range, that's still 43% outside it.

Hardly small enough to be like, "oh, I've got more than 350 hours, I'll be fine."

Over the years, the Grim Reaper has picked off some very experienced and talented pilots in incidents that seem completely out of kilter with their years of experience. I don't think the hours we fly determine our safety as much as our decision-making skills. Though of course we need the mechanical and handling skills....
Maxthelion, TopCat liked this
By Indochine
To add another data point, in my group (a complex type), the insurance requires 100 hours total time including 25 hours on type before flying solo. Before then, pilots must fly with an instructor or another member of the group who has satisfied those requirements.
By Ibra
I remember a similar thing for a my complex syndicate, but I recall 25h dual on type was to reduce excess from 2500£ to 700£ rather than you can't fly it solo?

One Mooney I flew recently had something similar but required 100h on type before excess is reduced from 10000€ to 2000€, completly nuts from insurance as it's just a complex SEP not some PC12, M600 or SF50 with Type Rating but it's insurnace have their own rules these days and decide what is possible and what is not, I had to say I flew 4 long cross-countries only landing on long 2km runways to get +15h and tick my 100h mark before coming back to bang TnG on 700m :lol:

I am sure one can get a quote to do PPL training and student solo on any aircraft you can imagine, but I think 15% hull value is the annual premium :eye: