Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Fellsteruk
Rocking horse poop or are they out there?

Looking about at options for shares in a four seater ideally PA28 but everything I’m seeing asks for 100 hour min due to insurance. Is it possible to find a share without the min hours requirement or is it like finding a unicorn, just curious as I’m starting to think i should part the idea until I get to 100 hours.
By Peter Gristwood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
They are about but it's worth asking if the group are prepared to ask the insurers for a quote on the additional premium and if you think it's a good option, offer to pay the difference
By Lefty
marioair wrote:We’re with Visicover and don’t believe they have a min.
It’s normally the group itself which wants a min # P1

They don’t have a minimum, but the premium goes up if you have a very low time pilot in the group.

It’s very obvious to see the increase that due to the inexperienced guy. If the new guy is prepared to pay the additional premium, then it is up to the other group members to decide if they want allow an inexperienced guy to fly their aircraft.
By akg1486
I was under the impression that new pilots, fresh from training, are in good flight trim and are very conscious of their inexperience and therefore relatively safe since they take fewer risks. Are there statistics on that?

Obviously insurance companies should be well aware. I'm not saying that low hour pilots aren't a risk, but it surprised me.
By PeteSpencer
We’ve taken on people with fewer than 100 hours and the insCo just upped the excess /deductible if he had a dink until he had reached 100 hours.
And I n another case till he’d done 25 hours on our (complex) aircraft .
By johnm
Our group has an increased excess for new members until they have completed 5 hours with an instructor. As others have said if you are prepared to pay any increased insurance costs it shouldn't be a problem and if it is you are talking to the wrong group for you.
By Dodo
akg1486 wrote:I was under the impression that new pilots, fresh from training, are in good flight trim and are very conscious of their inexperience and therefore relatively safe since they take fewer risks. Are there statistics on that?

A google search showed this as the first result..
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001457510003672

It requires a fee to read the whole paper, but the summary indicates that inexperienced pilots are more prone to accidents involving pilot error, whereas male pilots over 60 (and therefore, one assumes, more experienced) are more likely to be involved in a fatal accident.

Perhaps someone on the forum has institutional access to the whole paper and can correct me if I have it wrong.
akg1486 liked this