Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The DGAC has updated, following Brexit, their specific rulings on the overflight of French territory by amateur built and certain historic aircraft registered in the United Kingdom. In general, the terms are: Pilots may fly amateur build aircraft for private activity, VFR only, for up to 28 consecutive days subject to them having a valid UK certificate of airworthiness (or permit to fly).

Historic aircraft, are permitted on the same basis. (In general, this means factory-built former CofA aircraft, whose initial design was established before 1 January 1955, and production has been stopped before 1 January 1975, now operating on an LAA Permit to Fly. Certain LAA-overseen former military types are also covered within this definition).

The DGAC require and accept pilots of the above aircraft overflying France provided they hold a current Pilots Licence and associated medical as required and issued in the state of registration of the aircraft. This means that as well as ICAO compliant licences & medicals, UK NPPL and UK LAPL licenses and Pilot Medical Declarations will be accepted by DGAC. The principle applied is that if the licence and associated medical is valid to fly such aircraft in the country of registration, it is accepted in France.

Please note: this does not necessarily apply to Part-21 Certificated aircraft or in other EASA states.

Many thanks to LAA and EFLEVA President Roger Hopkinson, Neil Williams of the CAA and Thomas Iaconno at DGAC for their help in developing these clarifications. There is also further information on flights outside the UK in LAA Technical Leaflet TL 2.08.

For more information, please check the link below.
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2021/News/France_jun2021.html
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Brilliant News. Great to have it at last officially confirmed! :D

Yup, great news. To be a little pedantic, it was already officially confirmed in the French legal texts as pointed out (several times) and linked to by @patowalker of this parish.

Ian
Shoestring Flyer, Dave W, patowalker and 1 others liked this
G-BLEW wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Brilliant News. Great to have it at last officially confirmed! :D

Yup, great news. To be a little pedantic, it was already officially confirmed in the French legal texts as pointed out (several times) and linked to by @patowalker of this parish.

Ian

Yes I know patowalker thought it was all ok and I am sure his persistance has nudged things along nicely so of course very well done to him!
However it was not until now that the LAA and CAA agreed it was ok hence my comment about it being great to now have the 'official' confirmation.
Smaragd liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shoestring Flyer wrote:... and I am sure his persistance has nudged things along nicely ...

I think this is so; I suspect some of it was in train already but much, I am sure, was nudged along by patowalker's carefully targeted and worded comms with DGAC.

Great news, @Stephen Slater - thanks. I have no excuse now and need to finish updating my material for everyone.
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Yes I know patowalker thought it was all ok and I am sure his persistance has nudged things along nicely so of course very well done to him!
However it was not until now that the LAA and CAA agreed it was ok hence my comment about it being great to now have the 'official' confirmation.

Yup, I know, I was just pointing out that when it comes to France it's the DGAC rather than CAA or LAA, and actually the real 'official' confirmation was pointed out by @patowalker a while ago.

Regardless, and my pedantry aside, it's great news.

Ian