Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I thought I remembered a thread on this, but can't find it, so here goes.

I fancy a day out flying into an aviation (or maybe some other history / military / whatever) museum. What are my options.

Ones I can think of at the moment are:-

Duxford
Old Warden
Sywell (little museum by the car park)
JAM / Staverton
Caernarfon

Only one of which, Caernarfon, I haven't visited relatively recently already.

What other options exist?

G
By ChampChump
The first that come to mind (and I'm sure I've been to others):

Rufforth
Seething
Manston - but arrive by heli
By Ibra
Nice collection, you also have LeeOnSolent for museum if you think Hoovercrafts are aircrafts :D , Stow Maries, RAF Coninsby & Halton if you chase a bit on permissions

Mrs suggested one in Bentwaters but it seems we need to stay for the night to be able to fly there but it's on my list next time I am flying near London...
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:There are control tower museums at various airfields around the place, especially over in the east.

*Rumour has it that Thorpe Abbots (See 100th BG, The Bloody Hundredth, Masters Of The Air) which has an excellent tower museum do give permission to land on the remaining length of concrete - 800m, looks about 10m wide on Google Earth, E/W orientation.

Rob P

*No guarantees that this isn't fake news.
Last edited by Rob P on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Genghis the Engineer
Rob P wrote:Elvington

Rob P

Ah, thank you, I forgot that, which has been on my "must visit" list for years. I think that's No.1 on my list now.

Anybody know the present position about Yeovilton?

G
By Hooligan
Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar, though I think combination of landing fees and tour costs might add up a little. Plenty of Spitfires plus a two seat Hurricane and I think a twin stick P-40 has also arrived.