Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Kemble Pitts
Hangar 10 at Heringsdorf, super place packed full of airworthy German WWII and pre-WWII aeroplanes.

Schleisheim, near Munich, Fantastic outstation of the Deutsches Museum, based on a pre-WWI aerodrome with WWI buildings. Dozens of historic aeroplanes.
By Cessna571
Forget flying, drive to the DeHavilland Museum.

Currently right up there for me.

1. East Kirkby, the only place I’ve been allowed to clamber over the main spar inside a Lancaster and sit in the pilot’s seat. I spent an afternoon sitting in a various places in a Lancaster, they didn’t ask me to get out, they left me to it.

The rear turret is also interesting.

It’s very dusty in a Lancaster (if you get my drift)

2. The DeHavilland Museum, which for £60, let me sit in and clamber over their Mosquitos for the afternoon. (You just have to ask, but they don’t advertise the opportunity).

It can get very dusty in Mosquitos (if you get my drift)

3. Hendon have a Spitfire you can sit in.
£10 for 15 mins iirc.

So a friend and I asked for an hour and after the first 15 mins the chap said he was going to lunch and he’d see us later.

I’ve been told I have to visit JAM next.
kanga liked this
By Rob P
Cessna571 wrote:Hendon have a Spitfire you can sit in.
£10 for 15 mins iirc. So a friend and I asked for an hour and after the first 15 mins the chap said he was going to lunch and he’d see us later.

My luck was in when I had an invite to a press launch of the revamped RAF Museum (What they have done to it is awful, unless you are a fan of hats).

The lovely Italian lady, Sylvia, who was 'manning' the Spitfire that day assumed that the press weren't to be charged so I had a long time sitting in the aircraft and chatting to her.

Rob P

Journos being underwhelmed by "RAF Hats Through The Ages"
By Cessna571
kanga wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:..
I’ve been told I have to visit JAM next.

:thumright:

.. but we cannot now (as we'd hoped) reopen the cockpits to visitors next weekend, although we are increasing our hours back to 1000-1600.

My next big trip is to the flyer fly in, then after that, I’m working out how to get to JAM :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
kanga liked this
By Rob P
Cessna571 wrote: after that, I’m working out how to get to JAM

260 might be a start

Rob P :D
kanga, Cessna571 liked this
By Hazel C
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Rob P wrote:Elvington

Rob P

Ah, thank you, I forgot that, which has been on my "must visit" list for years. I think that's No.1 on my list now.

Anybody know the present position about Yeovilton?

G

Yeovilton is still RN. Therefore, not really available for GA I am afraid...

I think all the others that I can think of have been mentioned. Didnt think East Kirkby was open to fly in? But I stand to be corrected. Little GRansden also does not have a museum as such but they are restoring a Hurricane Mk I and have a very interesting hangar with that and a few other bits in. open on Saturday afternoons and Tuesdays with the handing over of 60 pieces of silver (aka £1) per person. The engineers are all volunteers and very happy to chat.
By Hazel C
The lovely Italian lady, Sylvia, who was 'manning' the Spitfire that day assumed that the press weren't to be charged so I had a long time sitting in the aircraft and chatting to her.

If you know the right people @Rob P Rob, you can sit in the odd aircraft at Stafford too :wink: :wink:
Rob P liked this
By Hazel C
Thanks Rob, didnt realise that! But there again, I dont think I even thought about it really as its hardly worth the fuel etc to take off from Cranwell only to land at East Kirkby! :lol:
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
It's in my logbook twice :D

Rob P
Hazel C liked this
By Rob L
Hazel C wrote:Thanks Rob, didnt realise that! But there again, I dont think I even thought about it really as its hardly worth the fuel etc to take off from Cranwell only to land at East Kirkby! :lol:

Yes it is, just for the experience, Hazel C. If I may suggest: go via somewhere (east coast for example) or another intermediary stop, to make it an hour's flight. Just because it's on your doorstep should not preclude you from having a fun flight in!

You'll appreciate it in your logbook.

[I drove past the entrance to East Kirkby yesterday (and I drove past Cranwell and Conningsby also)....I have no interest by road; but flying in to East Kirkby is a wonderful experience :D]

Rob L (another Rob)
By Hazel C
Thanks Rob L, hadnt thought of it like that...could fly a trip to Skeg, East Kirkby and back and do two landaways. Good practise at short grass strips in the Grob too.... (or in the Chippy maybe when qualified...)
Rob L liked this