Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Hazel C
Kemble Pitts wrote:Has anybody mentioned Middle Wallop for the Army Flying Museum? Not sure how easy it is to get landing permission.

I would imagine that it is like Yeovilton.... in other words, one has to know someone stationed there to ask permission... and unless in a Service Flying Club, be prepared for steep landing fees.....
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Maybe try this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... on_museums

If one takes your fancy then Google Maps can show where the nearest airport is to it.

If you don’t fancy public transport or car hire, then some such as EDNX are pretty much beside it.
By CloudHound
You can land at AAC Middle Wallop on Saturday 3rd July for their Wings n Wheels Show.

oh, you'll need a slot.

And there's none left.

Except I've just cancelled mine due mechanical issues with his motor. :cry:
By Cessna571
CloudHound wrote:You can land at AAC Middle Wallop on Saturday 3rd July for their Wings n Wheels Show.

oh, you'll need a slot.

And there's none left.

Except I've just cancelled mine due mechanical issues with his motor. :cry:

Isn’t that the date everyone should be landing at Sleap?
By Full Metal Jackass
Kemble Pitts wrote:Hangar 10 at Heringsdorf, super place packed full of airworthy German WWII and pre-WWII aeroplanes.

Schleisheim, near Munich, Fantastic outstation of the Deutsches Museum, based on a pre-WWI aerodrome with WWI buildings. Dozens of historic aeroplanes.

If we're talking ye parts most foreynge, then may I suggest Hangar 7 at Salzburg, home of the Red Bull aircraft and cars? Best though to call in advance and ask if there's space to park on that side of the airport otherwise it's a long walk or short taxi trip around to the entrance....

There's also the Technik Museum in Speyer (EDRY) with a two minute walk to the museum, well worth a visit.

Hazel C wrote:Yeovilton is still RN. Therefore, not really available for GA I am afraid...

I arranged a fly-in from my local club here in good old Germany-land and they couldn't have been more helpful.The only thing we needed was the insurance indemnity. In total, 5 aircraft flew in, the occupants were taken by bus to the Museum to look around whilst my dad and my uncle were picked up at the main gate and brought to me at the aircraft to allow me to fly them around Somerset.

...admittedly it helped that my uncle owns a pub just off the end of one of the runways there, but RNAS Yeovilton couldn't have been more helpful; for the other pilots who took part, landing on the naval base whilst the Lynx were active and getting to see the Museum made the whole trip most enjoyable.... to round it off, a Tornado did a low approach whilst we were there....
Rob P, Hazel C liked this
By Jodelman
...admittedly it helped that my uncle owns a pub just off the end of one of the runways there,

The Royal Navy always used to be keen to help the local population . Some years ago the local amateur radio club in Weymouth asked to borrow a ship from the Portland Naval base to go to Alderney for a radio contest. The answer came back - no problem!
By Ibra
Hazel C wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Rob P wrote:Elvington

Rob P

Ah, thank you, I forgot that, which has been on my "must visit" list for years. I think that's No.1 on my list now.

Anybody know the present position about Yeovilton?

G

Yeovilton is still RN. Therefore, not really available for GA I am afraid...

They are happy with TMG visits on weekends when the RNGSA gliding club is running the show, but not sure about powered SEP visitors though the landing fees are usually steep enough for visitors to run away...
By kanga
muffin wrote:I also have flown into Yeovilton as part of a group visit.

I flew there in a Cherokee with Air Cadet staff colleagues to visit the then nascent museum - in 1981. It was arranged by a schoolfellow whose day job was in the Education section, and was helping get the museum off the ground as a 'secondary duty'. The following year he was in the Falklands, as a 'minder' for journalists on HMS Hermes :roll: .. He justified it (without difficulty, apparently) with the Senior Ops Officer as 'Cadet liaison'. No landing fee, and free lunch in the Wardroom

Memories included:

a. being told to land on '27R'. This puzzled me until, on short final, I spotted '27L' - the Harrier 'skijump'

b. getting the taxi instruction, likely to be heard only there: 'follow the Hunter, park between the two Sea Furies, marshaller awaits'

Great day :thumright:
By Corsican
Sandown has a rather nice little museum covering flight on the island. Well organised and you can fly in a Bulldog with a VR headset which is rather fun. Great volunteers and fun for all.

[edit] Can't work out how to turn this.

[edit] my son, not me in front of the museum
By Wabash
Having just visited Dunkeswell museum I'm rating it as particularly significant as they state it was the only WW2 USN airbase in Europe and i note one of very few museums that covers the U boat war with attendant artifacts. Small but very well presented and plenty to read.

RAF Upottery/Smeatharpe nearby covers 101st Airborne of Band of Brothers Fame

There are proposals for a museum at RAF Culmhead nearby - theyre all run by a local group. Whether u could get permission to fly in to all of them is another matter.
Rob P V2.0, rohmer liked this
By kanga
Wabash wrote:..

There are proposals for a museum at RAF Culmhead nearby - theyre all run by a local group. Whether u could get permission to fly in to all of them is another matter.

RAF Culmhead has a significant place in history as the base of the first operational jet fighter squadron in the world (616 Sqn, Gloster Meteor Is); Me262s had been in action earlier, but from a development unit not in a full squadron strength. [/nerd :oops: ]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Culmhead

When it was taken over as a CSO radio station an operational building was built at the intersection of the two longest runways, and the airfield was covered in antennae, very visible from the air, and whose bases presumably remain. I rather doubt any part of the surface would be suitable for recreating an airstrip!

I'm not sure who now owns the freehold nor what is being done with the site. The Wikipedia page has an image suggesting that at least part has been developed for industrial use.

However, since this thread has been revived:

at JAM, we have now moved the now complete Horsa cockpit replica, and the Link Trainer, into the main display hangar; they will be available for viewing from this Saturday:

https://scontent.fbrs4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=64A134F1

We will be celebrating the 10th Anniversary of our opening on the weekend of 15/16 July, including (we hope) BBMF flypasts:

https://scontent.fbrs4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=64A0F0E7

Fly-ins welcome as ever, free admission, 1000-1600, Sat/Sun only. Landing fees can be paid and bookings out done by 'phone from our Reception desk, if fuel not needed.

In recent months TripAdvisor reviews seem to have tailed off, now totalling 626; but there has been a surge in Google Reviews, with reaching the magic number of 200 this week. Both remain overwhelmingly 5* :)
By GrahamB
You couldn't do it in a day, but the museum at Speyer EDRY takes some beating.

Five minutes walk from the airfield, with a OK hotel on site, it's huge with everything from bicycles to moon landers, via midget submarines (topical ATM) to U-boats, and bits of old warbirds up to an AN21 and a Lufthansa 747 on poles which you can scramble around inside. You need a day minimum to do it justice, including the iMax cinema.

The airfield is not particularly expensive, and although VFR only, caters for everything from microlights to business jets, all capably handled by an efficient radio service who speak perfect English. One of the foot exits from the private hangar and long-term parking side is straight into the garden of a bar, with not a hi-viz in sight. The town is pleasant enough with a selection of bars and restaurants a few minutes walk away, as is the Rhine. An added bonus is Koblenz-Winningen, a superb place for a lunch time visit perched on the edge of the Rhine gorge a short flight away.
Iceman liked this