Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
@Iceman better still if there's a westerly to make use of the gradient, rather than have it working against you. :D

Your comment reminded me of the story a Jodel syndicate members tells. The shorter one is sort of arched with the peak around the intersection before it drops off again. They landed short, but were a bit fast, however when they reached the crest and the shelter from the wind was mo more they suddenly found themselves airborne once again, with not a lot of the short runway left. Apparently it was interesting from that point, but thankfully no harm was done. :lol:

Fingers crossed for the weather. :thumright:
Iceman liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:...Fingers crossed for the weather. :thumright:

Windy.com is suggesting a westerly, starting fairly mildly on Saturday but picking up through the weekend. If I get there I reckon I'll be heading home Saturday latest.
By Forfoxake
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rf3flyer wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:...Fingers crossed for the weather. :thumright:

Windy.com is suggesting a westerly, starting fairly mildly on Saturday but picking up through the weekend. If I get there I reckon I'll be heading home Saturday latest.

For nearby St Mary's, BBC forecasting only 8-11 mph on Saturday and 10-14mph on Sunday. Looking good to me!
Iceman wrote:I hope that they’re using the longer runway :shock: !

Well, you got your wish. :thumright: It was interesting to note the value of the short runway and that not all of it is necessarily required. :D I guess that's the marker for when you visit in the Maule. :wink:

Although the Zenair pair were up in a fraction of the Islander's distance, maybe 100' from the intersection? :D

Many thanks for the flight and your company. It was good to fly in the TB20 once again. A thoroughly enjoyable day all round. :thumright:

mick w, bogopper, Dave W and 3 others liked this
@Miscellaneous I thought you had already departed before the Islander did that. I must have mistaken another TB20 for Iceman's.
I backtracked immediately after, but then you must know that.

Great day out for me for many reasons and it was good to to meet and put a face to the name of another forumite. Perhaps we'll see him at Easter soon.
Iceman liked this
rf3flyer wrote:@Miscellaneous I thought you had already departed before the Islander did that.

I didn't want to leave, we called in to Kirkwall for fuel and were watching their closing time.

rf3flyer wrote:Great day out for me for many reasons and it was good to to meet and put a face to the name of another forumite. Perhaps we'll see him at Easter soon.

Indeed, I think it would be safe to say you will. :thumright:

There were at least another two forumites there. In fact they are still there. Did you not meet them?
Miscellaneous wrote:There were at least another two forumites there. In fact they are still there. Did you not meet them?

I may have done but I was / am ignorant of their forum identities. Perhaps they saw me with my little aeroplane and thought 'that must be that cantankerous git, lets go over here instead.' :) :?
How would I know?
Miscellaneous liked this
By T18
We need Flyer lanyards, It would have been good to chat to others knowing who they were.
A great weekend although burnt due to the combination of sun and wind.
A huge thank to all involved, T18
By rf3flyer
T18 wrote:Ps, I was in the Thorp T18 Tiger....
Peter.

From your forum name I presumed you were. I admired the Thorp, as I always have.
I even at one time had a set of plans but it looked a pretty complex bird to build.
Somewhat overshadowed now by the RV range but a lovely capable machine nevertheless.
By Forfoxake
Miscellaneous wrote:
rf3flyer wrote:@Miscellaneous I thought you had already departed before the Islander did that.

I didn't want to leave, we called in to Kirkwall for fuel and were watching their closing time.

rf3flyer wrote:Great day out for me for many reasons and it was good to to meet and put a face to the name of another forumite. Perhaps we'll see him at Easter soon.

Indeed, I think it would be safe to say you will. :thumright:

There were at least another two forumites there. In fact they are still there. Did you not meet them?

i was there and spoke to Miscellaneous and rf3flyer, though only very briefly.

Only left today (Monday) for late lunch at Dornoch then straight line to Strathaven.

PS Was also introduced to Iceman.
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
It was great to put a few new faces to names and see how well attended this fly-in was at a far-north destination. The airfield on Lamb Holm pretty well takes up the entire island. The 640m 24 - 06 main runway is quite smooth with an uphill gradient on 24. The 340m 33 - 15 runway is humpbacked with its peak at the intersection of the two runways. It was interesting to see the Islander depart on 33 and was airborne at the intersection.

I was staying at Glenforsa for the weekend and picked up @Miscellaneous en route. A light fuel load at Lamb Holm enabled us to land and takeoff on the longer runway, necessitating a quick fuel stop at nearby Kirkwall on return.

It was great to see about 30 aircraft there of very varied types. The famous Italian Chapel built by Italian POWs in WW2 can be seen from the strip and is a short walk away. Of my four previous visits to Kirkwall, I’d never had time in the past to visit the chapel so this was a good opportunity.

A few photographs from the day. Thanks to the fly-in organisers and for the BBQ / cake :thumright:. Thanks to @Miscellaneous for the company.

A Churchill Barrier.

Italian Chapel

Glenforsa sunset

Iceman 8)
mick w, Ibra, Miscellaneous and 4 others liked this