Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member

Tonight’s livestream. Being just outside the Kirkwall ATZ, I reckon that puts Lamb Holm most definitely in the Orkneys - I’m with Dave C on that one :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
I've watched the livestream and get the gist now. Dave misunderstood Dave Edes comment as saying Lambholm was in Shetland, when in fact he was saying Up Helly Aa is in Shetland. That I can forgive, however for Dave to show his lack of Scottish knowledge in suggesting all islands have Viking festivals :shock:. Just wait, he'll be saying we all wear skirts next. :wink: :tongue: :lol:

On a serious note Up Helly Aa (held in January) is quite a spectacle. When we went there were in the order of 900 Guizers parading through the streets, all with torches. I concluded the H&S issues are overlooked and considered the less risky option compared to trying to stop it. :lol:

It's not just about the procession either. Following that the squads of Guizers go round various venues performing a variety of the weird and wonderful. They drink as they go and as each comes in their performance is more and more influenced by alcohol. The one I recall most was a squad with their chest/stomachs made up like giant faces with various garments of clothing, hats, scarfs etc for added effect. Maybe the alcohol I had consumed influenced how I saw the performance :oops:, nevertheless it was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

Well worth a visit. Too far to go just for Up Helly Aa, we spent 7-10 days travelling through the islands, there was some interesting weather that year. :shock:
Iceman liked this
By skydriller
Miscellaneous wrote:Up Helly Aa (held in January) is quite a spectacle. When we went there were in the order of 900 Guizers parading through the streets, all with torches. I concluded the H&S issues are overlooked and considered the less risky option compared to trying to stop it.

Sounds mildly familiar...

When I lived near Aberdeen, I remember Stonehaven used to have a "fire-ball festival" on New Years Eve involving guys swinging huge burning (straw?) balls on 10ft ropes around themselves at high speed while parading down the highstreet to the harbour. These were then launched onto a floating pyre and pushed out to sea?? You could feel the heat off them as they swung past a few feet away from the crowded pavement. Totally Mad!! Do they still do this?

Regards, SD..
By Forfoxake
skydriller wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:Up Helly Aa (held in January) is quite a spectacle. When we went there were in the order of 900 Guizers parading through the streets, all with torches. I concluded the H&S issues are overlooked and considered the less risky option compared to trying to stop it.

Sounds mildly familiar...

When I lived near Aberdeen, I remember Stonehaven used to have a "fire-ball festival" on New Years Eve involving guys swinging huge burning (straw?) balls on 10ft ropes around themselves at high speed while parading down the highstreet to the harbour. These were then launched onto a floating pyre and pushed out to sea?? You could feel the heat off them as they swung past a few feet away from the crowded pavement. Totally Mad!! Do they still do this?

Regards, SD..

They do indeed, although it was cancelled last Hogmanay due to Covid-19.
By Ibra
Iceman wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:Not what I had hoped to hear. Weather, or other?

I will be returning with the Maule in July / August :thumright:.

Iceman 8)

I would expect the reverse Maule first, then TB20 second, when it comes to visit dormant grass :wink: