Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
Cub wrote:The average pilot (99% of GA pilots) will never have encountered either an investigator from IET or the individual I suspect we are referring to and for that reason the only reason that trust maybe lost is via third party relay of the alleged actions of an individual.

Wires may be getting crossed here? To be honest, Cub, my mistrust of the CAA is based on the apparent incompetence frequently displayed. I would have no confidence, or trust, in any dealings I had to have with them. Quite frankly the growing catalogue of errors beggars belief. It's time for a vote of no confidence. :D
G-SLOT, Flyingfemme liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
And there, @Cub, is the damage that a general loss of trust achieves.

I have not suggested that, and indeed agree with you as to how IET (and others) should behave. When they do, that is rightly worthy of plaudits. But if the IET are nowadays met with suspicion and unnecessary defensiveness, you must acknowledge - I suggest - that the reason for that is not down to you, me or the Flyer Forum.

Indeed, some will hopefully recall this thread and draw that distinction from what you have explained. But @Miscellaneous point is also valid - a general lack of organisation competence inevitably colours ones views of those individuals who are competent.

Realistically, however, most will not - and that is a tragedy for everyone. More so because I thonk it was wholly avoidable with a bit of early oversight and management focus (which did not happen, despite the opportunities to recognise things were going awry).
By VFRBimbler
“I… agree with you as to how IET (and others) should behave. When they do, that is rightly worthy of plaudits.“

Whilst I think I understand the sentiment behind the comment above, have we really now reached the stage that we should be handing out pats on the back as recognition of someone simply doing what they are meant to do in the way it should be done?

Plaudits should be reserved for exemplary service and not for someone just doing their job properly by providing the service we are entitled to expect to receive.
Miscellaneous, Dave W, patowalker and 4 others liked this
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Iceman wrote:Twice, both times at Badminton. They were primarily interested in illegal public transport.

Iceman 8)

A bit different from my ramp checks, I used to operate air taxi from the IOM and TT week the CAA were always there doing ramp checks, they would ask “is this a commercial flight” and if the answer was yes then they would go through things with a fine toothcomb, of course all those doing illegal public transport would answer no and the CAA would just walk away!
Iceman, Bathman, Flyingfemme and 1 others liked this
By Sooty25
russp wrote:Makes me glad I have a NPPL and a permit aircraft so the only thing I need is a current chart .. so as long as I have my phone on me I'm ok! :)

Does EasyVFR count?
By proteus
I feel Dave W is right in this respect regarding the CAA.

As is the case in many areas a few bad eggs can destroy confidence in a group / organisation.

Whilst i'm sure all these people in the different areas are totally separate and never cross contaminate . The difficulty is that they all work for the CAA and the reputation is dire.

It's a bit like working for the J Epstein land procurement team, yes the individuals might be great and very separate from child rapey island. But If I was approached by them I'd want as little involvement as possible.
By Straight Level
Quick look on the CAA website in their handy booklet section for the Interception Procedures which results in:-

Reference:Safety Sense Leaflet 11
Title:Interception Procedures
Description:General Aviation Safety Sense Leaflet - Interception Procedures
Review Comment: This Leaflet is out-of-date. It has been withdrawn until it can be updated.

Must be one heck of an update :lol:
PeteSpencer liked this
By Ibra
Straight Level wrote:Quick look on the CAA website in their handy booklet section for the Interception Procedures which results in:-

Reference:Safety Sense Leaflet 11
Title:Interception Procedures
Description:General Aviation Safety Sense Leaflet - Interception Procedures
Review Comment: This Leaflet is out-of-date. It has been withdrawn until it can be updated.

Must be one heck of an update :lol:

What happened to the last guy who was using it :lol: ?
Straight Level liked this