Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Ibra wrote:Any request on providing poof of your opeeational flight planing (e.g. printed Notams, WnB, Fuel Calcs...)? or just having up to date aircraft & pilot docs?

No, just up to date aircraft and pilot docs. for us, don’t know or any others who may have been checked of course.
Ibra liked this
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Big Dex wrote:Aside from the charts, has anyone any experience of whether electronic copies on an ipad (or similar) are deemed sufficient?

If you are referring to information other than charts being stored electronically, I certainly know that a pdf of Intercept Procedures stored and readily accessible on the device has been accepted. I personally have a few scanned copies of POHs of aircraft I fly, which I am sure would also be accepted upon challenge.
By HedgeSparrow
I found the CAA IET COP (CAP 1422) interesting informative reading, as also this FOI request and response. I saw nothing about the power of arrest, or detention. It clearly states that interviews are voluntary and the interviewee should have the opportunity to have a lawyer present.

The relevant sections of the ANO (what a way to waste a morning!) under which the IET operate clearly state that the the person/organisation being investigated must have "a reasonable time" to provide documents.

It seems to this uneducated oik that they should have had police with them if they felt the need to hold someone against their will (or intimidate them into complying). At the very least, they should have given reasons for exercising their power to prevent the intended flight taking place at the intended time.

I look forward to further education.

While on the subject, is there a list anywhere of aviation-savvy lawyers whom one could call at the drop of a hat to advise at such an interview as our OP reports?
As I CFIT liked this
By James Chan
I haven't been ramp checked, but it's difficult to find information for the UK and the rest of Europe on what to expect, etc.

Various materials are carried on-board the aircraft in case that happens.

The US version makes an interesting read: https://pilot-protection-services.aopa. ... hould-know ... although the laws are different.

Given the police today can pull over and impound a road vehicle if it's missing the necessary paperwork and/or make an arrest, I do hope nobody (who tries to be law abiding) has to experience the same with their aircraft.
Last edited by James Chan on Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ibra
Andrew Sinclair wrote:
Ibra wrote:Any request on providing poof of your opeeational flight planing (e.g. printed Notams, WnB, Fuel Calcs...)? or just having up to date aircraft & pilot docs?

No, just up to date aircraft and pilot docs. for us, don’t know or any others who may have been checked of course.

When I had one in France, the DGAC lady asked for Notams & WnB prints, she was impressed by number of pages on autorouter .pdf, althought she pointed out I was 1pob rather than 3pob :lol: I think it was also tailored toward grey Public Transport ramp checks but they had no one that day at Chateauroux except me to hunt

The another one I had by customs in France (not unexpected as I was on arrival from Tangier :lol: ), I was impressed by their checklist and how much through they were on paperwork, they pointed the expired 10year radio station and I could not retreive a renewal scan in my emails or ipad pictures, they come back latter and told us not to worry and have a good day, my face color was 100% red, I think that helped :oops:
By GAFlyer4Fun
Ramp checked once by BF/Hampshire pol.

I am fairly confident they had already done their homework on me and where the aircraft had been flying so not a random check but a routine check.
Everything in order.
By Genghis the Engineer
An aeroplane I was renting to a flying school got checked by CAA, who wrote to me saying that the registration letters were the wrong proportions and requiring me to rectify this.

I have strong suspicions that this wasn't a ramp check at-all, but a malicious individual who was conducting a bit of a vendetta against me at the time who "shopped me", albeit that technically the CAA were indeed correct, and I had to have the registration re-done.

A proper ramp-check, no.

G
By Flyin'Dutch'
HedgeSparrow wrote:I look forward to further education.

A breach of the ANO is a criminal offence resulting in a criminal record.

The interviews are done under caution.

The text of the caution is in the paper you referred to.

There is voluntary and voluntary.
By As I CFIT
I'm not advocating such an approach but what would the Investigating Officers of the CAA's IET be empowered to do if, as they approach you for a random inspection, you don your noise-reducing headset, hum your usual pre-flight tune and carry on as though they weren't there? You may not wish to incur a delay to your flight on account of the weather or another reason; if they elect to wait for you to return and you duly return to your departure airfield then you will have provided them with an alternative opportunity to attract your attention.
By ThePipster
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
A breach of the ANO is a criminal offence resulting in a criminal record.

The interviews are done under caution.

The text of the caution is in the paper you referred to.

There is voluntary and voluntary.

Why do I always get a slightly uneasy feeling when comparing the criminal justice processes the police follow and those laid out by the CAA.

I note from CAP1422 that you may have legal representation at your own cost, but steal a mars bar from Sainsbury's and you will be provided with a duty solicitor at the police station free of charge if you want one. (https://www.wellsburcombe.co.uk/solicitor-police-interview/)

Pipster
Dave W liked this