Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ak7274
Someone needs to take the spade off them. When things are going badly...... Stop digging, the hole just gets deeper.
Using the same old excuses gets boring too. We have heard it all before. Sack a few of the beggars for incompetence and start again with a clean sheet.
By PA28
I had the exact same English Language Proficiency problem with one of our Students PPL(A) application in October last year. I assessed him level 6 on the RT practical test, included a copy of SRG 1199 with the paper application and that still wasn't good enough. Took 2 months of lots of phone calls and emails to sort out. The phrase couldn't organise a p up in a brewery come to mind.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nothing to do with IT systems or "the B word". Those are secondary and excuses to hide behind.

Everything to do with a fundamental misunderstanding of what they are there for and what customer service is.

Exacerbated by a blind unwillingness to look for a solution for the customer because it is easier to create and follow a not-fit-for purpose process designed for the convenience of the bureaucrat rather than the customer for whom all this exists in the first place.

Peoples' livelihoods depend on this. Heads should roll, and not at the front line or second echelon who work with the cards they are dealt.
PeteSpencer, AndyR, PA28 and 11 others liked this
By johnm
The drone industry have the money so their needs will soak up whatever skills and resources are available everything else (apart from "base" covering) will be sacrificed.
By Dave W
That's simply paranoia. Not everything comes down to "the drone industry" having some kind of sinister hold over the CAA and NATS.

In any event, this does not seem to be related to availability of CAA resources; it is to do with attitude.
By Boxkite
After the expiry of my Certificate of Revalidation last year I recently carried out a renewal including an LPC.
Apparently there is a new SRG1119? Which is difficult to find. There are (were?) also variations according to your specific needs, suffixed with A, B, etc.
I sent off my SRG1119 and the examiner sent off her forms around the 8th May (the 'pass' form and the 'ready for test' Course Completion Certificate form).

14th May, received an email (presumably they use email for its speed and convenience to themselves) from their 'Prescreening' dept.
Asking for £93.00 for the SEP renewal application and a further £15.00 to return the licence. Plus a certified copy of my licence (which they sent me in the past) just so they can check the integrity of their records! Also asking me for the Examiner's forms.

18th May, I queried the above and said my licence has been signed for the next 2-year period and they should look elsewhere for the delivered examiner's forms.
18th May, received email saying that reply could take up to 10 days.
29th May, I asked for a reply.
29th May, received email saying that reply could take up to 10 days.
17th June, Nothing yet.
Last edited by Boxkite on Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaznav liked this
By johnm
Dave W wrote:That's simply paranoia.

You'd be amazed how often my paranoia has turned out to be prescience over the last 50 years or so, I wish I was as good at predicting the stock market :D
By Boxkite
Dave W wrote:In any event, this does not seem to be related to availability of CAA resources; it is to do with attitude.

Well, we know they don't currently have the resources to manage GA full time, and have allocated it the part time attention of someone (track record?) from the drone side of things.
By Peter Gristwood
johnm wrote:
Dave W wrote:That's simply paranoia.

You'd be amazed how often my paranoia has turned out to be prescience over the last 50 years or so, I wish I was as good at predicting the stock market :D

Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out to get you..... :lol:
By MattL
Boxkite wrote:After the expiry of my Certificate of Revalidation last year I recently carried out a renewal including an LPC.
Apparently there is a new SRG1119? Which is difficult to find. There are (were?) also variations according to your specific needs, suffixed with A, B, etc.
I sent off my SRG1119 and the examiner sent off her forms around the 8th May (the 'pass' form and the 'ready for test' Course Completion Certificate form).

14th May, received an email (presumably they email for its speed and convenience to themselves) from their 'Prescreening' dept.
Asking for £93.00 for the SEP renewal application and a further £15.00 to return the licence. Plus a certified copy of my licence (which they sent me in the past) just so they can check the integrity of their records! Also asking me for the Examiner's forms.

18th May, I queried the above and said my licence has been signed for the next 2-year period and they should look elsewhere for the delivered examiner's forms.
18th May, received email saying that reply could take up to 10 days.
29th May, I asked for a reply.
29th May, received email saying that reply could take up to 10 days.
17th June, Nothing yet.

Why didn’t your examiner just sign up your rating in your licence? No need for any of that or payment to CAA
Kemble Pitts liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
MattL wrote:Why didn’t your examiner just sign up your rating in your licence? No need for any of that or payment to CAA

The examiner also then sends form 1119 to the CAA. This is where it all starts to go wrong I guess. There's normally no reply to sending in this form, it's just for the CAA's information. However it appears that the people working in FCL have less of an understanding of licensing than they did in the past.

Perhaps they took heed of the "sack them all and start again" mantra as some people are calling for and are staffed with all new people who don't know what's what.
By Bald Sparrow
Dave W wrote:Nothing to do with IT systems or "the B word". Those are secondary and excuses to hide behind.

Everything to do with a fundamental misunderstanding of what they are there for and what customer service is.

Exacerbated by a blind unwillingness to look for a solution for the customer because it is easier to create and follow a not-fit-for purpose process designed for the convenience of the bureaucrat rather than the customer for whom all this exists in the first place.

Peoples' livelihoods depend on this. Heads should roll, and not at the front line or second echelon who work with the cards they are dealt.

Surely the cards dealt is a result of the work that started years ago to streamline and make the organisation more efficient along the lines of the railways. That train has long gone but his legacy remains and the change continues.

There are still many good staff, even at higher levels. An outside expert needs to identify the bad apples and get rid of them.
By Shoestring Flyer
I think it is simply the case that the staff that are now employed at the CAA just haven't got a clue what they are doing.
Which at the end of the day comes down to poor knowledge based leadership!
By MattL
@Paul_Sengupta an SRG1119E is just a drop copy for a revalidation by experience. If renewal by proficiency check and the rating is on front of licence, it’s a SRG1157 drop copy to CAA and examiner completes all licensing admin. No need for CAA admin action or payments.
gaznav liked this