Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My usual IRE is currently struggling to get the CAA to revalidate his rating so he can revalidate mine, they are just a shambles....
By Fellsteruk
I cannot even get a simple ppl out of them and was told up to 10more days from today after calling them god knows how long if I hadn’t.

What gets me, six days after submitting my application at the start of June I get an email saying you have passed “ preliminary prescreen assessment” only to get an email days later saying application was suspended requesting my logbook, apparently needed for issue of night rating but they don’t tell you this or ask for it when applying online so pretty much designed to fail :(

I accept they are doing the best they can and it’s a difficult and busy time but that’s just poor design and attention to detail, it’s like they doing a late 1980’s web developer to build their application portal.
By Paul_Sengupta
If you think multiples of 10 days is bad, you should have seen them a couple of years ago, they were running at about 6 weeks to 2 months, and then they were using any excuse for resetting the clock to start again.

https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101762
https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108347
https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=110710
Boxkite and 1 others liked this
By Flyingfemme
The only way they would need to see your logbook for the issue of a new rating is if they don't trust their designated examining staff. Says a lot about their standards! The FAA have NEVER seen my logbook - not for anything. The DPE does the donkey work and signs the forms, then sends them in to the FAA. A licence is issued and posted out. Meanwhile the pilot has a slip that covers for 30 days so they can exercise the new licence/rating. Cutting out all this bull$$$$ would make huge cost savings without any impact on what they do. It would also cut out all the waiting, and complaining, by the "customers". Or is that "stakeholders"? I know what sort of stake I'd be holding if it was me being **** around like this!
G-BLEW, G-JWTP, Rob L and 2 others liked this
By GrahamB
Fellsteruk wrote:I’ll consider myself lucky then :)

You should. Even in the 'good old days' back in the nineties it was 4-5 weeks turnaround for issue of a PPL.
By Dave W
In the 80s I had it issued at Kingsway whilst I waited.

And I didn't wait long.

Of course, computerisation has sped everything up since then.
G-JWTP, GrahamB, Flyin'Dutch' and 6 others liked this
By seanxair
One day turnaround with transfer of my aircraft to it's new owner so some parts are working ok. Similar for a recent purchase. Well done to the registrations department.

However dreading what lies ahead trying to get my SSEA rating sorted...
By Highland Park
Fellsteruk wrote:I’ll consider myself lucky then :)

I passed my Skills Test in July 2012, but didn’t get my licence until November that year, as I got caught in the scramble with everyone wanting to convert their existing JAR licences to EASA licences (correct me someone, if I’ve got that slightly wrong…). Very frustrating at the time…

Ian
By Flyin'Dutch'
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Ok, so are these not requirements in other EASA countries?

I only have experience with the Germans (for my AME work), Swiss and FAA (for my licenses) and they are all magnitudes quicker.

And from what I see on other aviation forums is that all NAAs attract negative comments, but most electrons are expended in the UK.
By Flyingfemme
seanxair wrote:One day turnaround with transfer of my aircraft to it's new owner so some parts are working ok. Similar for a recent purchase. Well done to the registrations department.

Registrations have always been efficient. I’ve dealt with them often.
Flyin'Dutch', seanxair liked this
By Kemble Pitts
Dave W wrote:In the 80s I had it issued at Kingsway whilst I waited.

And I didn't wait long.

Of course, computerisation has sped everything up since then.

That is quite damning of the current situation isn't it.
By Paul_Sengupta
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Ok, so are these not requirements in other EASA countries?

I only have experience with the Germans (for my AME work), Swiss and FAA (for my licenses) and they are all magnitudes quicker.

And from what I see on other aviation forums is that all NAAs attract negative comments, but most electrons are expended in the UK.

Rather than the time taken, I was talking about the idiotic requirement for a course, a course completion certificate, and a test if you're even a day over your SEP expiry, *even* in the case of having met all the requirements but not getting the signature in time. It's just overly onerous bureaucratic nonsense, and it seemed to come in with the JAA/EASA. If other countries don't have this requirement, I'll put it down to our CAA gold plating, but if it is a requirement in other countries, I'll put it down to EASA madness.
Boxkite, flybymike liked this