Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Boxkite
Capt Edmund wrote:Pembroke, was this recent? They are claiming 10 days turn-round at present. Interested to see if they are anywhere near meeting that at the moment as I'd like my upgraded FIC back soon.

Don't you mean 10 days to respond to an email?
By Boxkite
And here's another one, you'd think the CAA were living in the 50s using file cards:
When you wish to transfer ownership of an aircraft, this is a small sample of the information they want from you on the form:
Designation of aircraft: Name, Type, Series(as described by the Constructor).b)Classification (see column 4, Table A page 4).c)Number of engines fitted.d)Engine class (piston, turbine, turbofan or turbojet).e)Maximum take off weight (kg).f)Maximum passengers carried (see Note viii page 3).g)Specify if in microlight category (see Note vi page 3).If yes, is it a “single seat de-regulated microlight” (see Notevii).h)Charge payable (see Table B page 4).a)b)c)d)e)f)g)YesNoYesNoh)2)a)Name of Constructor and country of manufacture.b)Year of construction.3)a)Aircraft Constructor’s Serial Number/LAA/BMAA Proje

Imagine doing this when you buy a car!
It's not enough to give them the reg, and maybe a serial number.
Can you imagine getting some of the details wrong?
CAA: "We can't process this form because you have entered the wrong model number and you have stated the wrong MTOW"
Buyer: "How do you know it's wrong?"
CAA: "Because it's on our database"
Buyer: "So how do I make sure I get these details correct?"
CAA: "You can find all the info in G-INFO on our website"
Buyer: "So you want me to copy all the details from your website in to your form so that you can check that the details I have entered in the form agree with the same database" !!
Last edited by Boxkite on Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
flybymike, johnm, Aerials and 2 others liked this
By MichaelP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I just sent the Change of Ownership card to Transport Canada to transfer the Airvan to its new owner.
A simple process.
The new owner fills in the form attached to the current CofR.
The previous owner sends in the Change of Ownership card. (In this case I did it on his behalf).
There is a requirement to send a picture of the aircraft data plate.

This is my FB post for today, it expresses my frustration with the CAA:

Today I should once more drive to Redhill, copy my EASA licence again, get it signed again as a certified copy, then post it to CAA Flight Crew Licencing who issued it, to prove they issued it. I will send it Registered Post this time with “Please do not lose this document again” written on the envelope.
But should I bother? So much effort every time I try to do something. Life puts up these barriers again and again, and I am so very very tired.
Yes I messed up, I failed to check the CAA’s Document 31 to ensure the place I did the **** course was approved to do that course. I was ignorant, and the ATO was ignorant of their “Limitation”.

I can’t believe the stupidity of all this. The licencing authority demanding a certified copy of a licence they issued. The CAA should keep proper records.
It is so frustrating when people disappoint me by not being up to the standard their qualifications imply.

I think the CAA wants to encourage us all to give up flying.
Either that, or they are simply incompetent.

In Thailand when I apply for a validation it is to a “Competent Official”.
CAA should employ competent officials, but perhaps there’s another reason to be deliberately inefficient and incompetent.

As an Authorised Person in Canada, Transport Canada would take my authority away if I operated in a similar way.
flybymike liked this
By MichaelP
BTW, what licence am I supposed to be using?

I have a UK PPL...
They are asking me for a certified copy of my EASA licence, is this still valid post Brexit?
By RisePilot
The head of a UK ATO can certify your docs; saving you the trip/cost of a law firm doing it.

It is truly odd having to “prove” to the CAA that you have been given a licence by the CAA.
By MattL
@MichaelP they want certified copies as they don’t have records / config control of what ratings have been revalidated ‘in the field’. You can email it in as a scan to fclweb@caa.co.uk - no need for post faff.

If an ATO has delivered a course, and charged you for it, that they are not approved to do I would be seeking legal advice right now personally.
By flybymike
@MichaelP they want certified copies as they don’t have records / config control of what ratings have been revalidated ‘in the field’.

Aren’t revalidations advised to them on the relevant forms after they have been done?
What do they do with all these SRG 1119E forms when they get them? (Apart from not acknowledge receipt)
RisePilot liked this
By MichaelP
An EASA PPL became a 'UK FCL PPL' automatically, even though it still says "EASA" on the front. It remains valid.

So I have two licences as one.
They were sent certified copies of both EASA and UK licences which are now ‘one’!

I assured them nothing has been revalidated in the field, in fact nothing has changed in the long time they’ve had my application.
Probably due to the time taken so far, they asked me to email copies of both my ‘licence’, which I did.
So they had the ‘snail mail’ certified copies, and later emailed copies, and now want a certified snail mail copy again.
The CFI at CubAir who certified my documents the first time, asked me about progress last weekend...

As for field validations, are those certifying in the field guilty of not sending in the paperwork in reasonable time?
And does it matter?
They issue ratings separately don’t they?
By xtophe
MichaelP wrote:
An EASA PPL became a 'UK FCL PPL' automatically, even though it still says "EASA" on the front. It remains valid.

So I have two licences as one.
They were sent certified copies of both EASA and UK licences which are now ‘one’!

No.

You have 2 licences:
1 UK ANO PPL
1 UK Part-FCL PPL
Dave W liked this
By MichaelP
If an ATO has delivered a course, and charged you for it, that they are not approved to do I would be seeking legal advice right now personally.

The ATO is well respected and to be recommended.
This is an unusual problem picked up on my application though previous applications for the same rating through the same ATO were approved.

It’s a painful time for me, but perhaps this is all part of my own luck path through life at the moment.
A lot of adverse things for me right now.
I am aware that many people are going through troubles right now making mine minor by comparison.
It’s life.
By MichaelP
No.

You have 2 licences:
1 UK ANO PPL
1 UK Part-FCL PPL

So what do I use each licence for?

Don’t say Part 21, in which case we should take CAA to court to determine their right to remove privileges that are a part of a life long UK PPL.
If you were issued a licence in a type then you should by right be allowed to continue to fly that type.